Adoptive/Foster Parents?

Hello!
I have always dreamed of being a foster parent, and right now we’re looking at adopting. I was wondering if there are any adoptive or foster parents on here. I want to know if you had any trouble getting licensed because you were diabetic. I’ve been T1 for 16 yrs and I am worried that I won’t be able to convince people I will make a good mom! I know I will be - I am a great nanny!! :slight_smile: I love kids…
Anyone who can give me advice??
Thanks!
Rachel

I am an adopted child, so I can’t tell you for sure. But I, myself, have looked into adopting through the foster system. I know in TN, they don’t say anything about it. I’m sure if your health was horrible, they would take that into consideration. But controlled diabetes, I don’t think there should be any problem. Check out your state’s homepage for the foster/adoption.
I can see how it might be more of an issue with private adoption since the birth mom usually picks out the parents. Then you might deal with stuff that way. But just through the foster system, there shouldn’t be a problem.
And, there are LOTS of great diabetic parents! :slight_smile:

Rachel,
I have adopted two girls from China, and so has at least one other person at tudiabetes has, and it was not an issue. I know for international adoptions it depends on the country. I have never heard of it affecting a domestic adoption, but you never know. My doctor wrote me a great letter of recommendation. Now that I’m thinking about it, my doc is T1 too, and he has adopted domestically.

Hi Rachel! How great that you are looking into adopting. I think that in any situation like this it is always important to use the phrase “well-controlled diabetes”. That somehow makes it sound very different…

Please keep us posted about your experience. My husband and I might be interested in adoption someday…