ADP & issues with changing pump

What features, exactly, make you feel it’s a “cheap knockoff”? Because the only similar feature I see is both pumps have a touchscreen. Aside from that, they are very different products with very different features. A product isn’t a “cheap knockoff” because it happens to share a touchscreen.

I also don’t understand why you would “bash” another pump when you’ve only seen videos of it. It just seems ridiculous to me. We all want more choice and unique options, don’t we? What value are you adding by your comments about a product you have never even seen or touched, much less used?

Here is a link of a review/info for the Ypsopump

https://www.waltzingthedragon.ca/diabetes/insulin-pumps-cgm/more-on-ypsomed-ypsopump/

I would wonder if an out of warranty pump could be repaired at any price?

Who would repair it?

ANY pump manufacturer would IMHO have zero incentive to repair an out of warranty pump (presumed greater than 5 years old) and every reason NOT to do so.

And is anybody really going to go to the guy on the corner that advertises $99 to fix cracked cellphones and hand over a pump and ask for a new screen?
:crazy_face:

It would be interesting if there is follow-up on that conversation. It just doesn’t seem plausible at any price to repair an out of warranty pump. IMHO. Based purely on speculation.

The whole thing is bizarre. Why is Tandem offering a new pump to someone who still has 2 years left on their warranty? $1400 is cheap for a brand new pump. What does Tandem get out of this?

Customer acquisition.

Building customer base.

Tandem has a program here in the US which has been wildly popular. This is simply the Canadian version.

2 Likes

That’s a good review and sums up the pump pretty nicely!

The only inaccuracy is that the pump does have clips available. There’s a silicone case type clip, and also a 360 degree clip (although they are still being shipped to Canada, I’m told). The pump is small enough that, while I’m waiting for a clip, I’ve been putting it in this tiny spiband on my wrist or ankle when I’m sleeping (which is the only time I really use a clip).

How are they making money on this? They probably make pennies on the dollar for the cartridge and infusion sets.

@Jason99 $1400 was just initial use for???

@Sheepdogs says " I pay $1400 Cdn up front and get loaned a T slim until my current pump warranty is over. Then I would be required to either return the tandem pump or pay the outstanding $5K or whatever horrid price it is."

If the customer leaves after the first “2 year” (or whatever) pump then the likely lose money?

The thought (probably / hopefully / lol) is that because Tandem is the best pump in the known Universe (I could be biased - maybe) that once somebody actually tries the Tandem then will be a customer for life.

EDIT: Assuming Tandem does not drop the ball and start producing crappy products.

1 Like

Still doesn’t make any sense. 1400 Canadian is like $50 in US currency.

ha ha ha

Very similar pricing. I believe the USA version of this program is $1000. The conversion I get (right now) fro $1400 Canadian is $1055 US so the pricing appears to be the same.

Tandem is the best pump in the known universe. It’s basically a game of fishing so to speak? Or gambling?

I don’t see them dropping the ball yet. We’ll see after 2020.

In terms of the Tandem offer, the amount of time a person has left on the warranty of their current pump is obviously a big deal.

For somebody that has 7 months of warranty left before they can get a new pump - not worth it IMHO. Wait out the 7 months then get a new pump.

But for the person that has 3 yrs 9 months left, it is totally different. Here, $1000 US / $1400 CAN may make total sense for that person to be able to get away from a pump that they hate or just is not working for them.

True. I admit there could be a better pump outside our solar system.
The cost of shipping it back here might be on the high side.

I’m sure Elon Musk is working on it

1 Like

Isn’t Canada’s money called the Looney?

I was never sure if that was official (for the $1 Canadian coin) or slang like “quid” or “buck”.

This makes more sense.

Robin Williams used to joke about it. That’s my only knowledge of Canadian currency.

And in reality new pumps like Beta Bionics and Bigfoot and Ypsopump will serve to keep Tandem on their toes.

Healthy competition benefits everybody and drives innovation.

2 Likes