Adult-onset Type 1 diabetes, findings from JDRF workshop

I really wish they would just stop calling them both (T1, T2) diabetes and name one of them something else. They are not the same disease whatsoever, and quite frankly I get tired of people telling me I can cure myself with diet and exercise even though I’m not overweight and not a T2.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed T1 at age 41 and put on insulin immediately. No testing for verification in those days. I did not have the “honeymoon” phase so many seem to have these days. I happened to be working in a diabetes center. Maybe less than a year after my diagnosis, I was asked to be a guinea pig for a test of tthis huge machine. Maybe 3 x5 ft and 2 ft deep. I had to sit where I could not see it and was to answer questions so they could see how well I was doing at different BG levels. My mentation was fine all the way through but suddenly the Dr., Bill whom I worked with, stopped the study and asked how I felt, I said fine. They could not believe it. My BG was 20 they told me. I was talking normally and Bill knew me and was in shock and scared to pieces. I think it was a thrilling test for them. I guess it was obvious that I was hooked to that machine and had IV going etc so they could lower my bg and see what happened!!

This is pretty late coming on March 30, 2022, but the past use of a pump is qualification for coverage under Medicare, as I read it. Transitioning to a pump from MDI is tougher.

1 Like

I was diagnosed T2 28 years ago and put on oral medication. As my condition intensified ,my Endo treated me as if I were A T1. It doesn’t matter what your initial diagnosis was as long as your health care provider monitors you condition and treats it accordingly.

1 Like