Advanced Stages of Type One Diabetes

My dad has had diabetes for for years now, he was diagnosed when he was 21, he is now 46. His health has sadly decreased quite a bit over the past year. He has gone from paratenal dyalisis to hemodyalisis and is now in the hospital from a wide arry of things. Has anyone gone through anything like this? Is there anything I can do to make him feel well more comforatable, hopeful even? I would like to know more about what is happening. The doctors don’t give me much information seeing i’m only seventeen. At times their lack common sense angers me they don’t realize i have been in this fight with my dad since i was born seeing he was diagnosed before I was born. Any input would be appriciated.

LillyAnn

Keep talking… writing, etc. The psychological aspect of the disease and being in a hospital affects your Dad AND your family (ie: you!). Although my complications are minimal, my health is not, in a way. I finally rebelled against the diabetes and to the adherence (spelling?) of a diet, in 1992. (Currently I have been diabetic for 39 years!) I gained weight and did less exercise, so now my body is having trouble with walking, and tightened tendons. I get very tired of all this and that’s why it’s important for me to stay connected here with other diabetics. It keeps me from getting too angry.

Oh, and by the way, long before I became diabetic, I was in and out of the hospitals and doctors’ offices for surgeries and appointments, so I KNOW what it is like to be in a hospital!!

You stay connected here, allow your Dad to talk while you listen, and always offer to hold his hand!! Seek out a counselor/therapist if you or anyone in your family needs it, too! (I’m currently going to a therapist and it really helps!)

As for understanding the doctors, ask another family member to explain or get permission from your Dad to have it explained to you. You have a right to understand and it may just be a law that doctors have to adhere to because of your age and the privacy laws for your Dad, so ask.

Hang in there, be brave, and hopefully others here will have more info. for you soon…

Rebecca {:smiley:

I have been diabetic for thirty years and have little to no complications. I have two daughters 10 and 13, they are involved more than I would like sometimes with my disease. Having to sit through pump training for 3 hours when they were three, having to wake up to EMTs in the house. If he is like me he would rather have you be able to understand what is going on than you having to guess. The doctors do rounds in the morning, be there for the rounds. It isn’t always during visiting time, but I am generally forceful about not being kept out of rounds. If at rounds you have questions, ask. THey are generally in front of their peers and don’t want to appear to have a bad bedside manner. I am sure your dad will tell them to answer your questions. It is the only way to help you cope with all of this.

I fear the day when my daugters will go thru what you are facing now. I hope they are a lot older than 17. Keep your head up, keep talking to anyone who will listen and try to show your confident about your dad’s health(that he will improve). Good luck, you will be in my thoughts!

LilyAnn,

Any updates on your Dad’s condition and about how you are doing? I know I would love to know…

Rebecca :slight_smile:

Hi. Naomie Berrie Diabetes Center in New York City (part of Columbia Medical Center) is involved in dual Kidney/pancreas transplants. For Type 1s who need a kidney transplant, they will also do a pancreas transplant. It is both kidney and pancreas, not either/or. Reasoning being if you are already in need of a kidney transplant, you will need antirejection drugs, so in that case they can do the pancreas as well. I’m sure there is a waiting list, but I would call them up and investigate, as well as investigate other programs like it in other states. The doctors may be able to give you more information about transplants, as well, if your dad is a candidate and wishes for a kidney transplant. I’m so sorry your Dad and family has to go through this, as your Dad is a young man. I am assuming he is already on a transplant list. Maybe it is easier to get a kidney AND pancreas transplant than just a kidney transplant. After surgery, technically he would not be diabetic.