Advice for Trish

We must be… I am the same when ever i tell anyone how much i weigh they do not believe me i have even stepped on the scale a few times to prove it…Blood sugars being random is an understatement. i find no rhyme or reason at times for why my sugars seem to be high or low and the only explanation that my endo can seem to give me is “hormones”. I check 5 or 6 times a day to try to stay on top of things but i am not where near the amount of control that i would like to have. I am still not sure if i will ever figure it out!!

My blood sugars seem to drop about two hours after exercise, this is what SuFu has talked about with Late Onset Hypos (LOH). But I believe I beleive he has also mentioned he has biphasic LOH, he (sometimes) has a second hypo later. In fact, it is not uncommon to have hypos at night following exercise. I think some of it may be due to some of the things that happen after exercise, like increased growth hormone and sustained insulin sensitivity, it just all plays havoc with what is normally a fine tuned system. It may help to be steady and consistent with your training, if you do an intense day and then lay of for days only to return to another intense day, that may make the problem worse.

Cheryl posted a presentation in another thread that was interesting, although it was about children, presumably much of it is also true for adults (although my wife does point out, I am hardly an adult).

In case your Endo hasn’t looked at it, but I also don’t know if you suffer from any of these symptoms. I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago & after a few trials with different Endo’s, my glucose control is improving with the help of metformin. My insulin demands have dropped significantly (along with my recent lower fat, higher veggie meals~ I still eat 90-150 carbs/day) & I’ve gone from using 45 units TDD to 25-30 TDD within the last month. No doubt, my sugars are still up & down but the highs aren’t as bad as they used to be. :slight_smile:

I agree with what bsc said. There are a ton of diurnal rhythms that spike during the night that can result in a secondary LOH because of the needs of muscle. Hormones (oestrogen and testosterone) are the highest at night and correlate with an increase in the release of growth hormone. Best way to help with this is to have some long digesting protein and fat before you go to bed. Example - casein protein shake (NOT WHEY) or a cup of cottage cheese with a supplement of CLA and fish oil. This helped me stave off the nighttime lows and also blunted my problems with dawn phenomenon.

Does anyone else have cottage cheese issues? I really like the stuff. I used to buy the costco three pound tub, but that was too much. Can one really have too much cottage cheese? I eat mine with a squirt of Sriracha sauce or some Indian pickles. But then again, just by looking at my face, you can see I’m a bit strange.

I eat about a tub of it ever three days.

I doubt it. I’m guessing the only limitation would be constipation or development of a milk sensitivity/allergy.