Aflac!

I have a chance to get aflac insurance. which of the plans is more helpful to Type 2 diabetics? I am not experiencing any real issues but I was told by the representative that there is at least a year waiting period before I would be covered for anything associated with my diabetes. So if I was suddenly became ill with the measles and had to be out of work. The aflac insurance would kick in. If I had issues associated with T2D that wouldn’t be covered for a year.

Help!!!

Insurance policies differ by State/county/city. Nobody on this site is qualified to tell you what policy to purchase. I would talk to an attorney and see if they can review the policies for you.

Where the heck do you get that kind of attorney? I look, but I do not find.

I think thats common. Our state sponsored plans in MN do that. Those are the gov issued plans for the poor.

I do not have that insurance, but a girlfriend who works for NASA, signed up for the plan. Within a year, she developed leukemia and she was very thankful that she had AFLAC. Purchasing additional insurance is a personal choice and should be based on your health, personal and financial situations. For example, we have never had dental insurance as we are able to self-fund all dental situations. We also do not have eye insurance as we have a family member in the trade.

1 Like

I was asking for opinions and experiences. I was not asking for legal advice or other wise.

I definitely want to get the insurance. I just wanted to know what people’s experiences were when they got the insurance. There are several plans available I just wanted to know what people’s opinions were with one plan versus the other. Normally at these times of choosing you don’t think of all the possibilities that could happen or the advantages.

1 Like

I think its super scary to purchase an insurance plan because its sooo complicated. I have a healthpartners plan. I would avoid United Health Group, if possible. But, I think you are far away from me so these might not even exist where you are. I don’t know if this is helpful.

I think you want to ask about the plans about:

1.) Maximum out of pocket per year for medication vs patient care (thats the maximum that you can be expected to pay for insulin or endo appointments). After you reach that, everything should be free.;

2.) The deductible (this is how much money you WILL have to pay every year, immediately, out of pocket, starting on January 1st. As a diabetic, you want this as low as possible. I have a super low deductible plan - $1,000. That is still a struggle every year and you are unlikely to find anything that good in this day and age. That qualifies as a ‘low deductible’ plan. Those dont really exist anymore. If you could get $2,000, I would call that very, very good still. But, you might not be able to come close to that.

3.) Do they cover your preferred insulin?

4.) How much do you pay for meds and office visits after you reach the deductible? So, after I pay them the $1,000 deductible (usually in Feb), I only have to pay 20% of the cost of insulin or an office visit. That is very affordable. They pay 80%.

AFLAC is a secondary plan, to cover some things your primary plan doesn’t. I have not used, and don’t know anyone that has. There are lots of negative reviews online.

This is correct information. AFLAC pays its salesmen very high commission rates and their salesmen are on straight commission so the pressure on them to sell you a policy is high, and in their best interest, not necessarily yours. They set up an office to capture a certain number of policies and revenue in a territory and if it generates sufficient additional revenue, for the manager as well that also gets a cut,for their company, the office is kept open. If not, the office closes. I only know this because AFLAC was a tenant of mine in one of my commercial buildings for a few years.

I harbor no ill will toward AFLAC so this is just information, not an endorsement or recommendation not to look at their product(s). Just tread with care, as you should with any insurance.