Afrezza met its match today

That’s a glorious victory @Sam19! Staying well below 200 and bringing your bg down in a few hours after that bloomin’ monstrosity is just outstanding. I bet most sugar-normal people would have substantial spikes after that meal (which should not be on the menu for anyone, but that’s a different topic).

4 Likes

This is one of the main reasons I went to a standing desk about 4 years ago. My blood sugar after lunch comes down much quicker standing rather than sitting at a desk all afternoon.

3 Likes

Further about the onion . . . ever notice that cooked oinions taste sweeter than raw ones? As mentioned, lots of foods work that way. If you own a smart scale, you’ll notice that it often has different settings for raw and cooked versions of the same food.

I thought this is because as foods cook moisture usually leaches out of them— for example a cup of cooked onions might only be 1/2 cup after cooking

An uncooked onion might weigh 4 ounces-- after cooking it might be two ounces—

Not so much that the onion changed really but that the amount of it would have changed to read the same on the scale… Did google the topic and it appears plenty open to debate though.

I’ve never bothered to even include onions in carb counts

not sure I concur that cooking actually creates carbs out other macronutrients, but do concur that it can change their availability and speed of absorbtion

My smart scale has different settings for the same food even in cases where the amount of missing moisture is very slight, or nonexistent, like the same food raw vs. boiled. But in any case the chemical changes are real.

Of course, thinking back, I’ve also been told this by dietitians, so . . . . no, no, not going there.

1 Like

Ah. I was slightly off target. It turns out that cooking doesn’t alter the total amount of carb significantly, but can have a profound effect on the glycemic index of the carbs that are there. So the effect changes. Which is evidently what your onion did.

I suspect the massive amount of seasoning it was battered with before deep frying played a substantial role as well

Ah, now there’s a point. The batter certainly added carbs to the otherwise plain onion. Not the same thing, of course.

Which goes right along with my theory that human beings have not physiologically evolved to be sitting at desks all day. Just my theory, but I think when we look at “less advanced” cultures where people actually have to do more physical work in general, we’d see lower diabetes prevalence in general… Just like we saw here in previous generations

Not to say that’s to blame for your or my issues, or anyone else’s for that matter—but if it helps control our metabolism, why wouldn’t it help control and preserve a healthy metabolism as well?

1 Like

Don’t beat yourself up. You didn’t eat the whole thing. Did you? O well anyway. Now you know the bolus amount! I would extend an hour or hour and a half with part of the bolus…just me. Take care. Enjoy eating!!

I think it was the deep frying in beer batter that did it.

It may have been both, to some degree. Cooking tends to convert starch to sugar. The total amount of carb doesn’t change, but for some people it has a significant affect on speed of absorption. Notice how much sweeter an onion tastes after it’s cooked? It’s not your imagination.

I eat cooked onions almost every day, and have never bolused for them at all or to my knowledge had them spike my bg at all … I’m leaning toward the batter being the main culprit

Every time I glance at this thread, I chuckle! :smiley_cat:

PS I have some Afrezza samples to try and am very excited!

1 Like