Ah ha momment

What’s your “ah ha” momment, you know the one thing that convinced you to change your bad habits and get you back on the diabetic horse (or as i prefer wagon…:slight_smile:

I thought i would share mine… because my last a1c was 11… I stopped taking my humalog with food…basically i was burned out… Well my “ah ha” moment to straighten up was i was sick of not having anything to show to my doctor. Granted i was sick of running on high sugars, increasing horrible moods, etc. My doc told me where i was heading if i kept on going, but i didn’t care… i was tired of it and i just didn’t care… I guess finally finding a doc that talked to me, and helped break me of my old habits that somebody put in my head, gave me some initiative not to waste his or my time.( i knew it was time to jump in i just didn’t know when to do it or how again, i felt like a noob all over again) Granted the last two weeks have been a rollar coaster trying to feel normal in the hundreds, and i know i got lots of work to do, but i think i’m getting used to doing the whole diabetic thing (check sugar, count carbs, inject, check 2 hrs later), its become a normal reaction like brushing your teeth or getting ready in the morning, its instant. Heres to hopefully feeling normal for once after all these high sugar months!

I didn’t have a specific moment…but gradually pieces came together…

1. I was getting more and more into running and finding that highly variable BS made it difficult to do well or work as much as I wanted
  2. I got my first full time job w/ benefits so now could actually see an endo
  3. a corrolary to 2)…working plus living on my own gave me a sense of more independence, routine, and control over my life (I could choose when and where I want to eat) which helped boost my confidence that I could actually do better w/ D
  4. Join TuD and seeing that there were people here constantly striving to what they can to keep themselves well from eating well to testing regularly to working out how to eat tricky foods or consuming alcohol…so just seeing that really made me feel that it was possible to better manage my D which I had really thought not possible before. Also knowing that most everyone runs into problems also made it easier for me to move on rather than getting stuck in guilt for not being perfect…

I’ve gone from trying to test regularly at least once a day to worrying about running out of strips before I can renew my prescription (never ran out before and didn’t even refill that often…) in about 2 years… Still working hard on carb counting (doing it consistently and accurately)

I’ve never really “fallen off”… I was diagnosed while I was pregnant with my first baby and my kid(s) have always been my motivation to take care of myself… I want to be around for them… and be HEALTHY. I don’t want to be on dialysis or missing my feet by the time I am 40.

I adjusted to being diabetic as I adjusted to being a mom… like any other life change, it just became my normal. I hardly remember living without D, even though I did for 20 years.

Online communities (when I have time for them) really keep me on my game… and motivated to keep striving to do better.

Get your script for more test strips… as a T1 you can usually override any “limits” that your insurance imposes fairly easily. There’s no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to test as often as you want or need to. I get 300 a month and sometimes I think about asking for more than that… but some months I go over, and some months are easy and I don’t go through as much, so it sort of works out in the end.

Thanks I will ask to see if my endo can write it for more. Though even then …some days I want to test every 10-15 minutes (basically trying to catch a trend)…

If you have good insurance coverage, look into a CGM :slight_smile: I still test a lot mostly to confirm what the CGM says, but not in that constant “I have to check again” way like when I am only relying on my meter.

Domo…I am SO proud of you. Love ya tons Sweetie!

My “ah ha” moment was many years ago. I call it my Crazy year when I fell. My Hubby’s job was outsourced so unto EI. He wanted to change careers so he decided to hit the College scene. He also decided that he wanted to buy a house(the Kids and I didn’t want to move). House searching/viewing times plus ALL the meetings and stuff that goes with it. Trying to bribe the Kids into moving and checking out Schools. :stuck_out_tongue: My RA going outta whack. Missing Drs. appts., infrequent testing, etc. Too many social engagements etc., etc.

Way in the past if I had gone through that year, I would have been overwhelmed and would have needed a Good cry or more. This past time, it was like my brain was set on NUMB.

Didn’t have time for the D until I noticed my numb toe and foot pain later that year and was dxd. with Neuropathy. No surprise there. I’ve kept the D in check since then.

My moment was when I watched my Mom die of kidney failure from Diabetes. I was amazed at her strength…bearing the pain she was in and still so sweet and kind. She didnt have medical insurance for many many years when she was dx’ed back in the 70’s and 80’s, so she didnt have good control for too many years. I have all the medicines and testing supplies and insurance…so, I need to do the best I can…I have no excuse.

My mother was diagnosed 25 years ago. She was rightly advised to ‘control her diabetes’ for her first 10 years. After that her aha moment was when her endo said "if you want to see your grandchildren grow up, you should now go on insulin’. That was her aha moment 15 years ago. she has paid close attention to her management. no complications at 75!

i had one doc ask “well do you want to die,” and of course my automatic answer is no. But i know diabetes burnout can’t be ignored, but at least we can acknowledge that we do want to try and be healthy.

My moment was in the mid-80s when I had my first retinopic bleed in my left eye. Up till then after 25+ years of T1, I thought I was immune to side effects. So my 1st side effect was a real wake up call. Up till then I don’t remember paying much attention to carb counting or sliding insulin scales. I just took my insulin & ate more or less the same. Now since 2007 I am on a pump & coping much better.

I’m still waiting for mine.

I’ve had a few little woot woots, I can do this, but they pass within a day or so.

From being mis-diagnosed as a 2 for a year, to clueless doctors for the next, to me just not caring as much anymore, my first 2+ years with this have been going downhill and getting me no further ahead.

Hubs looked at me a few weeks ago and said he was concerned didn’t want me “to go blind”. I ordered my pump the next business day so hopefully that’s my a-ha. If it’s not, I’m gonna stick my rear out for all to give it a swift kick 'cuz I need it.

I know from what you’ve shared before that it’s a little more complicated then saying just do it, but find a way, any way.

it is hard, and having a sucky docotor can definitely hinder getting better. I’m still feeling this doc out but i’m liking what he’s saying, and he might actually come in handy. What gets me is that i was(and will find myself to be) burned out! All these months i could talk the talk, visit this site, comment, read diabetes books in my spare time, but of course i wasn’t walking the walk… and it’s not because i’m stupid. It was fun eating whatever i wanted, not gaining weight, etc but everyday i felt like crap! I guess my other “aha momment” was when my doc explained lantus(i switched to levemir) better to me and helped me realize i didn’t have to eat a million meals a day. This is only week three… of the rest of my life… so hopefully i don’t kick the habit. (i love weird sayings :slight_smile:

The ah ha moment??

Well I figure it this way, My endo once said that when I was tired of being sick and tired, I would do better. So one day I woke up feeling like trash, with a stomach ache and i recalled what he said. i knew right then, I was tired of being sick and tired. i will never forget that day. Of course it took 27 years, but it did show up.

rick phillips