Airplane question

I am flying and am a Navigator wearer. I am wondering if it is possible to use on the airplane. If not do I have to take the battery out of the transmitter only? Thanks

I don’t know much about the Navigator. I use MM’s version. I don’t even disconnect it. The range of those aren’t more than 6 feet and I haven’t had any issues. I did disconnect it totally the first time I flew with it, but forgot on the flight back. As you can see, the plane didn’t fall out of the sky because of any radio interference. LOL I wouldn’t worry about it. But to be technical, yes you should make it so that it does not have the capability to transmit. So if the Navigator has a removable battery I would probably take it out if you want to be 100% compliant.

the more important piece about flying is to never put your receiver (or pump) on the x-ray machine at the airport - i’ve heard some people say to not go through the metal detector, but i went through with my Cozmo dozens of times with no ill effects

thanks to both of you I may just give it a try and see if it works…only drawback is 10 hour warm up if I have to restart… I reuse my sensors so shouldn’t have to waste one. Worst is I am so dependent on it to keep track of how I am doing often, I hate to think about flying and not knowing what my BG is. I will try to post how it went. thanks again!

sounds like they will not know if I am compliant or not…I think I will try being uncompliant. Probably won’t be the first time I have had that label
thanks

why not send through the xray machine? I went through the scanner with my cozmo also and it set it off but since it was not removable it was fine. the receiver is not connected. Won’t they just tell me to get it scanned?

The x-ray machine that is used there is pretty powerful. Letting these machines go through them has the potential of really screwing things up internally. It can even make them inoperable. Obviously, that’s not a good thing. Also you can go to the tsa.gov website and look up diabetes rules. They can’t make you take off the pump because it is attached to you. Since you use the Navigator that has a separate reciever, so I’m not entirely sure about that. But, I would make sure that you tell them what each item (pump and CGM receiver) is so that they know. The guy/gal at the metal detector should just waive you through. Most of the time they think that the pump is a cell phone. You can also request the alternate to the metal detector (wand treatment). It seems like its a lot of stuff to deal with, but once you do it once or twice you realize that it’s really no big deal. They’re trained to recognize these things. On the off chance that I get a TSA that has their head up you know where, I make a point to print out the rules from the TSA website to have handy if they get bucky. LOL Haven’t had to use it yet. Dr. notes aren’t even needed anymore. I just flew out to CA a couple weeks ago and had no issues at all.

You are correct that TSA is trained to deal with insulin pump users. You will not get the same treatment unfortunately if you are travelling through Canada though. The last time I travelled up north I was given the royal treatment by Canadian airport security officers.

A little bit different issue but still related to flying with the CGMS. Be careful not to become dehydrated. Then the sensor doesn’t have enough fluid and you will not have as accurate readings as you are used to. Drink, drink, drink, and you should be fine. Have a great, uneventful trip.