Alcohol swabs - glucometer,injection, vials, pens

I have never used an alcohol wipe before lancing a finger, left lancets on for months at a time, and to the best of my knowledge, never had an infection.

I used to inject through my clothes without any alcohol swab, often leaving pen needles on for days, and at worst very, very rarely got a small pimple-like infection at injection sites. I've never sanitized the top of a vial.

Now that I'm on a pump I am careful to sanitize my infusion sites, both before I place them and after I remove them, and so far I've gotten one small pimple-like infection after removing one.

I alcohol EVERYTHING....but I'm a germ-a-phobe....because I have to be. Being on immuno-supressive meds will make you that way!! Also, if I am going to use a test strip....which is a rare commodity because they are so darn expensive....I am definitely going to clean with alcohol. I want an accurate reading to be able to update my Dexcom.

I have never used alcohol for injections, BG testing, etc. and have never had an infection. I simply wash my hands first with soap and water.

In fact, alcohol will dry out your skin and can lead to callouses.

I inject through my clothes all the time. It is convenient and I don't have to skulk off to the unclean bathroom. But my wife hates it. She thinks that it is not only damaging my clothes but is unsanitary and can lead to infection. She came to an endo appointment with me at one point and asked my endo to tell me "Don't inject through your clothes." My endo, an entirely practical woman, turned to me and said calmly "Tsk, Tsk, don't inject through your clothes" while rolling her eyes. It was clear at that point that my endo was just humoring my wife who was furious. But we haven't argued about it since.

I've got a lot more things to worry about than wasting my time doing unnecessary cleaning. Now I do clean my fingers very well before doing BS testing and for good reason, I find it very easy to get contaminated results without cleaning.

I just wash my hands with soap and water and take a shower 99% of the time before I change infusion sets. Nothing before injection, I do not remember ever having a infected injection or infusion site.

Note: I never let anyone touch or handle my supply’s or my pump. I always take a zip lock bag to hospital or doctors office and place my pump inside bag so it is never exposed to the Hospital germs or staff. I never worry at home or my office.