Almost 20 weeks and no increase in insulin needs, should I worry?

I am 20 weeks in a few days and I am starting to worry quite a bit that my insulin requirements are still low, and I think even lower than it has been. I think I have been eating a little less the last few weeks, but I can´ see how that explains the lows at night.
At my clinic I´ve heard three different stories, from three different doctors, about when the insulin resistance usually hits. One says 12 weeks, the second says 18 and the third says from 20 weeks.
My concern is that my decrease/no oncrease indicates low hormone production and that something might be wrong with him/her. I am pretty sure my belly is getting bigger every week, but I am not sure if I´e felt movement or not.
The only change I´ve seen the last two weeks is that I need to start bolusing even earlier, and that the post meal spikes hit faster than it did before. I do a bit more adjusting doses, and I think the total bolus rate is a bit higher compared to total basal than it used to. I might have had a bit too high basal doses before, and it could be that it is now closer to where it should be, but I can´ t stop worrying…
Any thougts?

all mums worry, diabetic or not. I think the scans tell the story of bubs development. You would have been told at your last scan if there was an issue. when is your next scan?

Diabetes is highly variable. I mean highly. You see it in everything: response to insulin, response to food, response to exercise, etc., etc. Physiologies vary so much from individual to individual that there are no hard and fast laws. What works perfectly for me may not work worth beans for the person next to me who is the same age, weight, body type, etc. One of our members puts it this way: If you want to treat diabetes “by the book”, you’ll need a different book for each diabetic.

The fact that one doctor says 12 weeks simply means that their patients mostly exhibit it then. The fact that the next doctor says 18 just means that’s what they observe in their patient population. Get the picture? There’s no guarantee that your particular arc will match one of theirs—or any of them, for that matter. It’s just too individual.

So, bottom line: it happens when it happens. As long as all indications point to a healthy baby . . . I wouldn’t obssess over a “standard” that isn’t really standard. Easier to say than to do, I know . . . but as someone said above, the better you succeed, the better for the baby.

And the members of this community are always here for advice and support, or just to listen. We’ve got your back.

1 Like