Altitude Sickness

Can anyone give me some insight on handling altitude sickness. My 8 year old is experiencing symptoms (nausea, fatigue, sleeplessness, and loss of appetite). I read that glucose meters might not be accurate at altitude. Her BG has been bouncing around and beside pumping her with fluids I’m trying to wrap my head around how to help her not only feel better but ease some of the BG volatility.

Ooog. That’s not good! Most meters are good up to 10,000 feet. There are a few, very few that are only good up to 7,000. Are you higher than that?
You may want to take her to a urgent care facility (save some cash instead of going to the ER) so they can check her oxygen levels. Also if you think your meter may be acting up, you could have them check.
Try giving gatorade, or pedialite, something with electrolites in it. I know that gatorade has carbs, so she will need to balance it with insulin, but my friends and I (we live in CO) find that helps a lot more than plain water. If anyone knows of a electrolite drink without carbs could let all of us know??? :slight_smile: Gatorade probably won’t help with her BG numbers bouncing around, but will definitely help with dehydration and some of the symptoms.
Unfortunately, the professionals don’t give much other advice than what you are already doing except to get her to lower altitude as soon as possible. :frowning:
I hope your little one will be feeling better soon!