Am considering a vitrectomy and want to hear about your experience

I am actually only having problems in my left eye. A vitrectomy can be the next step after PRP (panretinal photocoagulation) laser surgery. The PRP is done to somewhat help existing bleeds but more so to prevent new ones

Bleeds can occur even if ones blood sugars are controlled. Roughly 85% of those with diabetes will have some form or another of complications at about the 15 year mark even with good control. It may be a problem that just bears watching, or it maybe more serious. Bleeds can occur if the disease is PROgressing or if the disease is REgressing so a bleed isn’t always bad, but more so just always inconvenient.

The vitrectomy is a procedure done normally under local anesthesia in which the vitreous fluid, or the gelatinous matter in the eye, that gives the eye it’s shape, is sucked out. Along with the vitreous fluid comes all the gooky stuff that is impairing your vision, i.e. blood, crappy vessels, fibrous materials. The eye is filled with a saline solution which is absorbed by the body as the body reproduces new vitreous fluid. The new vitreous is free of all the gooky stuff that impaired your vision. 80% of the time, there is complete resolution of the problem and the vision returns without issue. 10% of people have no change and their vision remains impaired. The other 10% of the time, more severe problems can occur, such as post surgical bleeding, infection or a detached retina. I

n a person who has had PRP laser treatments, the risk for a detached retina is reduced significantly because the laser has produced scar tissue that has, in essence, tacked the retina down to the back of the eye. I was surprised to hear that Kathy had had a detached retina after having had laser.

Most doctors will tell you to wait 6 months after you get a bleed before you have a vitrectomy, but some have altered views of that suggestion in light of the patients history. As I mentioned above, laser is generally used as preventative, not treatment and in my case, I’ve already had so much laser that not only is there no room in my eye for more.

The laser is actually put in the periphery of the retina and makes the retina smaller. You can go only so small or you risk permanent blindness from the laser because the macula, located at the back of the retina, the function of which lets in the light you need to see, can become affected because there is so much laser to the retina surrounding it. If you can’t get light into the eye, you can’t see.

I’ve rambled on a bit here, but I just really believe in education and if I can provide that to others who need it, I am more than willing. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
Viv~