Am I being paranoid? I'm going to stock pile insulin

I actually believe that corporations are granted the privilege to do make money for it's shareholders but they have to contribute to society. A company that makes money but harms society has broached it's ethical duty. Hospitals are no different and our government exerts influence to make sure that they do their duty. They have to maintain emergency rooms and cover the poor and uninsured. And they have to be prepared for emergencies.

Society, through its agent, the government, provides the infrastructure that any business needs to operate. This includes our courts, a legal system, highways, money system, water systems, an educated population, aviation system, and many more. Without this basic infrastructure, chaos would reign and businesses could not operate much less flourish. There's a good reason that businesses seek out countries with stable political systems. Think about it!

In exchange for this essential order, business owes an ethical debt and responsibility to all of us, or to use another word, "society." Without our collective common infrastructure and our implicit permission to use it, no business could exist.

"Government" has been demonized by many but it is simply a collection of individuals bonded together for a common cause. If government were truly bad for business and commerce, then business would be blossoming in Somalia!

If the Zombie Apocalypse ever comes, Sam, I'm definitely looking you up. :-)

I think I understand where you and Brian are coming from now.

I'll refrain from further comments, except to say I'm not sure I agree.

Absolutely!
I have all of mine labeled and entered into a spreadsheet so I use the oldest first.
I started doing this when I noticed that some of my newer vials had expiration dates before ones already in the fridge.

Plus about 10,000 rounds of ammunition

That's all? I've got triple that just in .22

But that's where you're mistaken, Terry, business is blossoming in Somalia: Piracy, kidnapping, extortion, gun-running and smuggling are all booming. :-)

Hey mohe0001

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. Ebola and ISIS are the best things to happen to cable news ratings since the tragic downing of the two Malaysian Airways flights this year. The major news outlets are driving the hype - especially Fox, CNN and MSNBC, all with their own political slant: "It's all Obama's fault" to "Republicans are all extremists" to......"Squirrel!!"

Remember, there are things out there that kill many more Americans than Ebola ever will, but they don't get the same news coverage because they're not as exciting for the news outlets to cover: Motor vehicle accidents, flu, gun related violence, and the ever growing obesity epidemic attributable to processed food.

Ebola will be contained and by then our info-tainment news providers will find something else with which they will try to whip us into a ratings driving panic.

Christopher

Lol yeah but 22s are for kids

I'm glad you boys are able to lead the revolt when our diabetic army comes to power. I never learned how to shoot because of the epilepsy. No power tools, either. : ( But, I'll drive a tank. Until first blood is shed, there's only zombie paintball training for me. http://www.trailofterrormn.com/zombiepaintball.html

That looks amazing. I wanna' do Zombie paintball training! :-)

Geeze, I feel like I'm missing a LOT on cable news. No good TV reception here. Sometimes I miss a little of the good, old fashioned sensationalism that TV does so well. Stupid digital converters! How I curse the day you were invented!

Thats hard core! You are a good diabetic. I pat you on your head.

I'm just anal.

I've got all my Rx's in a spreadsheet too. I've got them on auto renew at the pharmacy, so as soon as the 25 day refill period arrives (for a 30 day Rx) they get renewed, so I build up a stock of most of my Rx's for 3-4 months too.

When I open a new vial of strips, I record the date in the spreadsheet in addition to writing that on the lid too. Same with infusion set, sensors, reservoirs, lancets, etc. Of course the spreadsheet contains all of the lot numbers from the packages.

I also have a custom Google Form that I use to as a sort of Diabetes log. I track finger stick locations (I rotate 70 different locations); meter readings and the corresponding sensor glucose and ISIG numbers; infusion set changes; sensor changes; battery swap outs; changes to pump settings whether temp or permanent; meal description and Carbs; bolus amounts; and any general notes regarding anything out of the ordinary...like a wacky sensor reading; yanked out infusion set; odd lows or highs; illness; new meds; and so forth.

This way I can do some trend analysis right on my smartphone and not have to wait to do a CareLink upload and reports. You can't do them from a smartphone, yet.

I also track my vital signs on a daily (or more often) basis, due to some other Meds I take, temperature, weight, BP, pulse, Sp02; and body 'output' - color, volume, etc.

Also, just to keep my wife happy(ier) and to keep her from bugging me all the time, my spreadsheet will automatically send her an email every time I do a BG or BP check.

By nature, I'm a very lazy person, so my project for this weekend is to incorporate barcodes into my Meds spreadsheet, so I don't have to manually enter Rx numbers/dates etc. I just want to shoot a pic of the barcode with Google Goggles on the smartphone and get that to interface with my spreadsheet.

I also do monthly data downloads from the pump and meter to do cross checking and additional analysis of any days/times that need additional scrutiny.

;-o

Seriously, if you have a compulsion about blood and the wounds on your fingers find a lancing device that works. Driving a lancet deeper than necessary is going to be more painful and leads to more bleeding (however brief) than necessary. There are lots of "good" ones out there (good in quotes because it's hard to call something that causes pain "good").

If you have trouble getting a good drop with a lancet in a device, you should always wash your hands with the hottest water you can stand, vigorously washing and drying before lancing. Also, recognize that the fingers and thumbs you use for other daily activities may have a bit thicker skin, so your depth needs to be greater on those digits. Next, make sure you are changing the lancet with some frequency better than yearly. I try to start a new one with every new box of test strips (100 tests, aka every two weeks).

Wow, with all the work you're doing on your spreadsheets, it doesn't sound like you're a lazy person!

Wow, you are the one to ask complicated questions to. You prob have good supporting data for topics like 'injection site concerns' and 'insulin that might have gone bad.'

I actually think it reinforces that idea. I HATE manual paperwork!

I created the Google Form so I would not have to write things down manually (especially when away from home) and then have to transfer it into a more readily accessible format for analysis or reports for Dr. visits.

Plus once everything was created, it now only takes a couple seconds to enter a BG reading (and all the supporting data) and it magically appears in a spreadsheet ready to be analyzed/reported/etc.

If something 'odd' happens with a Rx (unfortunately not a rare event for me), it's a simple matter of a couple swipes on the smartphone and I have all the required information, Rx number, dose, refill info, doctor contact info, discontinued meds, the while lot. No matter where I am. So much better than paper records.

Plus since I store everything in Google Drive (with local backup copies on laptop and phones), my wife also has instant access.

I checked online and found that dwb actually have had transmissions also even with the total coverage & bleach so it's not 100% but much better than what the hospital in Texas initially did.