An International T1

So I am moving to Israel for seven months on Tuesday…I’ve been there twice before for two months at a time and have always brought all my own supplies but I’ve never actually been out of the states for this long at a time. I was wondering- Is there anyone from that part of the world on here or anyone who has used insuin there or just someone with a lot of international knowledge??? I’ve traveled a lot myself (Europe, Israel, India, South America) but have never actually had to get medicine in other places. If I needed to get insulin there is it the same (that might be an ignorant question)? My doctor said it is, but I’ve heard otehrwise from other people? What do you think??? Any help is more than welcome :slight_smile: I see a lot of traveling in my future so this will be an ongoing issue for me…I am currently using a Novolog Pen and a Lantus Solostar Pen but am open to switching to whatever in order to get what I need.

are you studying or working in israel & what & where?

I live in Israel now. I was coming to study for a bit and do Ulpan and in the end I married an Israeli, live and work here :)

I'm in Tel Aviv and I work near Jerusalem

Ha, I will be in Israel at the end of May/beginning of June. My spouse is from there and we are traveling back to visit family. I have never lived there (only visited), but am curious to know the answer to this so I can be prepared.

My endo told me that all insulin we have here should be available there. However, getting in to see a doctor to obtain the insulin could be tricky. My endo told me that if anything happens while I'm there, I should go to the hospital and I will be able to get what I need to stay alive.

But here is my feeling re: ALL international travel with T1D - ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP PLAN. And with international travel, this means knowing how to rely on Regular and NPH in a pinch (and even maybe just regular if that's all you can get your hands on). In some parts of the world, these are the only types of insulin available or the only kinds available without a prescription. Have a way to pay for it (either using travelers insurance or a credit card).

I think the hardest part being there is keeping everything cool!! I am ordering another Frio pouch to be safe. Those things rock in the heat.

thanks for the reply

Ahh, a quick google search found these guys - the Israeli equivalent of ADA. http://www.sukeret.co.il/EN/ They may not have a lot of info on the site (I just looked at the English version, as I can't read Hebrew) but there are contact details, and the people there may be able to provide an answer. Have you contacted either the US emabassy in Israel, or the Israeli embassy in the US?

I have no knowledge of Israel, but just want to chime in with my own experience from living in Guatemala. The whole medical thing is very different there. You can buy anything you need in the farmacia without need for a prescription. That's actually where I started on Apidra and Lantus pens. You can also get any test at a lab for a small cost and then return in a couple days for the results yourself. Personally I felt there as though I was treated much more as an adult by the medical system - able to make decisions for myself as to when I need a doctor's help. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and I was able to get some reimbursement from them but it was a smaller percentage so even though meds were much cheaper there, they cost me more (part of why I returned to the states). I did figure out a semi-legit process before I left where I went to a doctor in the U.S. when I was visiting and then used a mailing service to have my meds sent to an address in Miami where it was couriered down.

I have no idea how any of this applies to Israel. My guess is that developed countries like Israel are regulated similarly to the U.S., but I just wanted to throw out a different perspective. (And one that might apply to you or others who travel to developing countries in the future.)

I travel overseas a lot. Seven months is tough, though. Have you contacted your Endo, PCP, etc.? Got updated scrips? Asked about using them overseas? I have every contingency in place (and, honestly never had ro use any of them), and am on a pump: International phone numbers for MiniMed and my supply company, new vials of Lantus (which is only for backups) syringes, batteries, intsructions. I take a cd of medical records,letters from the doctors for travel--be careful as Irael is super tough, scrips (not going to work, but may help convince someone), anything I can think of..

In December of 2011, I was forced to leave 40 syringes behind, as they felt it was too many for my needs?!?! I had the same supplies in my checked bagge, which saved me. I learned a lot from that experience. Going away and not being comfortable with your D?

As the Girl and Boy Scouts say , BE PREPARED for everything. You will have a great time!

@my busted pancreas: all insulin is available here, regarding seeing getting your hands on it, you can see a travel doctor who can prescribe you what you need. im sure any hotel can give you the information for that or your husband's family. if you are in tel aviv i can also give u the info :). t1 diabetes care is great here!!!!