Angled versus straight insertion

I’ve been on the pod for 6 months-so still quite new to figuring out placement. Every pod, no exaggeration, has brought post pod change highs (up to 12 hours post change, fasting, and over 250), an acceptable 2nd day (numbers between 70-150), and awful 3rd day bs. I’ve tried every site imaginable, altered my basal, my carb ratio, set up temp. basals, tried Apidra, Novolog, and Humalog-I was seriously considering heading back to MDI (which I haven’t done since 1999).

But today I tried an angled insertion-it was perfect! No post pod change bolusing, no extra bolus at my following meal, no temp. basal-just perfect, beautiful blood sugars. Has anyone found this true in your care? Have you noticed a difference between straight versus angled insertion? I’m having a hard time figuring out why it would make such a huge difference. Anyone care to offer an explanation?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...How can you change insertion with the pod ? It always goes in
at an angle...

the angle is built into the pod's plastic design.

I mean the position on your body-not placing it perfectly horizontal or vertical, but at a slight (25-30%) angle.

What I'm wondering is if in the "straight" position is it possible that you might be inserting into older injection sights. Torn up and scarred skin from years of injections has a much slower absorbtion rate than less scarred tissue. By "turning" the pod, might you be inserting the canula into a less scarred area?

Just a thought...

You are meant to have the pod horizontal around your torso & going in the direction of the bones on your limbs. You can rotate the pod 180 degrees in any location.

I'll second Scott's comment. I've found the same to be true, as you, when experimenting with sites that I've already used. Three to four hours after a pod change is about all it takes for the numbers to settle and my numbers always seem to start climbing and hover around in the low to mid 200's by my third day. If it's been a really great site, I'll ride it out until the pod does a "hard expire" just to get the additional eight hours.

Thanks everyone-never thought about scar tissue being the culprit when placed perfectly horizontal on my abdomen/back (mainly due to the cannula’s angle)-but it sure does make sense. Does anyone else put the pod on slightly angled? I am wondering if it would be better to do so on my arms and legs.

Also-KC O’Pod, what is a hard expire?

I’m a UK size 12, US size 8. I have 4 sites on my back, 24 on my belly. Flipping the pod 180 degrees, doubles your number of sites. I avoid the bony parts of my back. I use my belly button line (3 pods from my side to my navel on my left, & 3 on my right, then six if I point the pods in the opposite direction) and a line below my navel, doing the same thing. I do a similar thing with my limbs.

Site rotation prevents scars!

The pod are set to expire after 72 hours, but they can still be used (provided there's still insulin in the reservoir) for an additional 8 hours. You'll get the friendly "pod expired" reminder beeps during this period, but you still get the basal delivery and you can bolus for meals. Then after the additional 8 hours a "hard expire" occurs and it has to be changed. (Squeal of death!)

I wondered why I never had a screamer! I always have left over insulin in the reservoir-now if I can get a good 3rd day site-I’ll keep it on! Thanks so much!!!