Animas users to use medtronic

Yet another big issue for money-tight folk like me…

No, you’re right - the pump supplies are made by the same company (Unomedical) so as long as I use the compatible set (Animas Inset II is the same as the Medtronic Mio, etc.) then I could re-use the tubing from a Medtronic set with the Animas one as the connection to the infusion set itself is the same, it’s just the cartridge connection that changes.

That’s also why Animas users could always use the Tandem AutoSoft 90’s when they eventually can no longer get Animas supplies (plus I think they’re slightly cheaper anyways.)

The cartridges on the other hand… now those are a bit more difficult to obtain as they aren’t cross compatible between pumps. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, ok I get it now.

Tandem doing away with Luer lock though now…

@Laura_S Yeah, I saw that too. Animas users just can’t win! :face_with_head_bandage:

it seems that each company wants to use their own tubing. i dont mind me switching. it wouldve of been nice if animas stayed in business.

1 Like

I frequently do changes without changing tubing, because I change sites fairly often.

We can use ANY luer lock infusion set. I’m using the Orbit. It’s abit cheaper than the Inset II that Animas sold. You can ask for samples if you want to give them a try. Diabetes Depot here in Canada sent me the original samples - 2 each of 6 and 9 mm depth.

Yeah - I did the same thing too Laura … so I play between my Animas Vibe (that I only got last May 2017) and the Omnipod … when I feel flush to purchase a box of pods. Because of the work I do in the #DOC … Americans and some Canadians who have switched from Animas to other pump manufacturers … I’m like the Animas Depot for either Ping pumps (have 3 functioning ones … one I use as a back up when travel) … as well as other supplies. I’ve given some of the infusion sets to the hospital here in town where I live, to distribute to those Animas users who are still awaiting another pump manufacturer to come to Canada (t:slim hopefully end of this year). I do like the freedom of no tubing with the Omnipod … but it’s the expense of them.

2 Likes

Hey, I’ve heard about your helping people! ;-). Good for you! I guess I am set now. I have way more Animas Ping cartridges than I will need, and a decent supply of sets for the Ping (some for my Revel). We’re self employed and sometimes we are not able to spend much, so if the pods become too much I will have to wait to refill. For now, I am ok for a few months…I think my test results are going to be better. And I think the reason is I have to physically walk over and use the PDM. I was forever shutting off reminders on my Ping, and forgetting to go do what I had the reminder set for.

1 Like

I did not know I needed to apply for the pump while in warrenty. There has always been a “trade-in” option… is that still available? My Vibe pump expired the end of April… can you help me?
Carolyn Andrews

Here’s the Medtronic info. I just got a free trial offer from Omnipod and they still have programs for people who want to try the system. I suppose with Tandem you would be able to trade and purchase.

1 Like

the trade in program with tandem is $999 for animas users. so its not like the medtronics where animas users are getting the 630G as a free trade in…the 670G has a cost to get that instead

1 Like

I’ve moved on from the 630 idea, but doesn’t she need to be in warranty to trade the Animas pump for the free deal?

i think there is info on the medtronics page about those that arent in warranty

1 Like

When traveling to Korea, I had to bring way more supplies than I would need because it would be impossible to get any supplies there. Once I took a loaner pump, always took 2 1/2- 3 times as much as I should need.

2 Likes

Yes, same here. There is nothing on the market comparable to the one-touch ping. The game-changer is the meter - it communicates with the pump, does the calculations and allows you to remote bolus. As a result, I never see my pump throughout the day and never have an issue with tubing. Because of the meter, my pump can be tucked away in a pocket in my underwear. I’m not sure why Medronic can’t make an all-in-one meter, similar to Animos?

1 Like

Thinking I would never like it, I switched to the Omnipod system. The PDM does have a built in meter, and does communicate remotely though their next generation system will not have that meter. I love this way more than my Ping, and I swore by it for years. I had too many misconceptions about the pods, though they are not cheap.

The Accu-chek combo has the most advanced meter remote system. The pump can be programmed using the meter remote. The pump itself is ugly though (lol). but I guess the designers expected the user to keep it in place and do everything else with the remote. But, you can still use the pump to do whatever you need to do, bolus, temporary basal, everything, if the remote has been misplaced.

1 Like

Not available in the US anymore though, which is too bad because we need more on the market!

1 Like