Another severe low without insulin brittle diabetes?

For me the conversion between R and Humalog or similar is 1:1. But I’m type 1 and @blizzard2014 is insulin resistant type 2. However he may be taking a little to much and his own liver is producing enough glucagon to combat it but he is still getting symptoms since his body is throwing everything it’s got at the R and needs some help at times (especially when exercising).

What I would do if I suspected that my I:C ratios were fluctuating is a test. Eat a measured amount of glucose and see how much it raises your BG then take what you think will bring your BG back to the starting point. If BG goes back to the starting point but you get low BG symptoms try experiment again but with less insulin.

2 Likes

We were talking about that, but he doesn’t think that’s it because he only eats at 9pm, and I think the lows are during the day. But, he does have that info incase he wants to doublecheck. This is a tricky one because he’s type 2.

I’m leaning torwards ‘exercise lows,’ because of the season change and because I’ve been having those latley.

I would try to get a telehealth appt as soon as possible with a nurse practitioner/diabetes educator. I suspect they will strongly urge you to reconsider your approach to eating, since for insulin resistance, multiple smaller meals throughout the day is generally preferable. Endos are often not the backbone of figuring out day to day care for newer diabetics—diabetes educators are.

Also, you may feel that you are bouncing around a lot, but the blood glucose numbers you are reporting still don’t really reflect that. On the other hand, if you have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and/or orthostatic hypotension, which sounds quite likely, I will repeat my other comment from above that I suspect the bad feelings you are getting along with in-range blood sugars (80-90s) may be due to lack of hydration and electrolytes, combined with too much caffeine (which is going to further rev up the sympathetic nervous system, worsening POTS etc), especially with that eating schedule. Sudden tachycardia feels almost exactly like hypoglycemia to me, to the point where I used to get what I would describe as false lows a lot (times I could have sworn I was low but wasn’t) until I treated my POTS with beta blockers, in addition to increased fluids and electrolytes, and limited caffeine.

4 Likes

You might be right and the heat.

Just brainstorming. My stuff is all a mess and I’m not even trying to fix it. But, I just got sensors, so maybe this week. My BG = 400 right now. I have no idea why. Don’t care. I’m not feeling like fixing it. God bless you for trying.

1 Like

Wow Moe, are you type 2 as well? I can’t figure all this out myself. Maybe the body is just gonna do whatever it wants to do. I hope you feel better. I feel it happening now. I felt my BG shoot up an hour after I wile up. Same yesterday when my hands felt numb and heavy and clumsy. Then I felt it going down again when I checked and BG was 115 and then 60 an hour after that. Thanks for listening to me.

No, I’m a type 1 (25 years), but this post is teaching me a lot that I never knew.
Today is my first day of real complete data in a while. I am currently 43 and crashing (and eating a sandwhich). I’m gonna try and get things straight because my state is anticipating a huge rise in covid cases. Everyone is slacking with everything, apparently.

CGM, even just for a couple of weeks, could be very helpful in figuring out your BGs. I’ve had times when I did not eat soon enough after bolus and then BG has taken off. One possible cause is my body sensing insulin or falling BG and signaling release of glucose from glycogen storage.

1 Like

I asked doc for a script for the Freestyle. I need to see what is happening.