Another Turning Point In My Life

Hello everybody! Although I was just recently diagnosed with diabetes, I have accepted it and I'm planning on doing everything I need to do to keep my sugar levels normal. For me, this is a major turning point in my life on many levels. I'm overweight and although I am proud being a BBW (big beautiful woman), I swore to myself that if my weight ever started to affect my health in a negative way, then I would do something about it. So, here I am at this cross road.

To give you a little idea of who I am, I'm a very happy outgoing person and usually always positive and upbeat. Of course I haven't always been this way, I've struggled with my own personal issues in my life and I've dealt with different things through my life. I'm a poet and its therapy for me in a lot of ways to express feelings that way. I've dealt with depression in the past and from that I learned a very valuable lesson and that is: it doesn't matter what issue you deal with as long as you deal with it in a positive light. There isn't anything a person can't achieve or overcome, if they stay positive and hopeful. Attitude to me is 100% about how we deal with life. If you have a negative attitude, then you can be sure that you'll attract negative things to happen in your life. I know that sounds too simple but its the truth. Our mental state and the condition we keep our spirits in, is so very important!

Since March 1, 2010, I've cut sugar out of my diet. I never thought that I could do that, at least I never thought it would be as easy as it has been. It has much to do with my attitude about it. When I heard my doctor say, "You have Type 2 diabetes." that changed everything for me. It was scary but it's my reality now and my attitude has everything to do with how I control my diabetes and there are no "if's ands or but's" about it. So for me, that was simple to do. I've been using Splenda, its the only sugar substitute that I've found that I like. I have to now watch my carbs and omg is this a hard one for me!! LOL! I love my carbs! But I love vegetables even more so maybe it won't be so bad after all. I'm just now beginning with my new diet. And BTW I hate that word..."DIET"!! I'm not on a diet, I'm on a new eating plan that will be for the rest of my life. To me, "Diet" represents starving ourselves to lose some weight, some people starve themselves to lose weight. And when they go off their diet, they go back to old eating habits and bam...they gain their weight back and you start all over again. So, whatever I choose now to do as far as choice of food, it has to be realistic and it has to work for the rest of my life. So, I've got a lot to learn still about that. I have a nutritionist now and I have an appointment next week to visit with her and we'll discuss food plans and all that. It's going to be very interesting.

I'm going to post more blogs, it feels good when I can write what I'm going through and I know some of you are going through the same thing as me, which is a comfort to know I'm not alone.

Peace and Love to all, Cindy

Sounds like you have a great start with your outlook and attitude. I felt very much the same way that you do now when I was diagnosed in Dec. 09. Your attitude will help you reach your goals, it has for me. Sugar has become my heroin and avoid it at all costs, minimum carbs, lots of execise and my meter to remind me why. It’s funny, I see my meter as my coach always reminding me what I shold work on. Be sure to use it often and log what you eat and when to see how things affect your BG’s. Don’t think of it as a diet but a new lifestyle. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the family! You’re off to a great start you’re going to be just fine.

I’m looking forward to reading about your journey.

Hi, I have been a diabetic for 6 years. When my doctor told me I had the decease, I cried with joy. I had been dieting all my adult life, around 35 years, paying lots of money at weight loss places and would loose 80 lbs, or 70 lbs another time. As long as I had them to be accountable to, I lost weight. Then when my contract ran out, I would gain that back alone with more than I started with. I was a yoyo’er forsure. The reason I was happy about the fact I was diabetic, thats how desperate I was to loose weight. I KNEW that would scare me enough to loose it. And it did. I lost 40 lbs. I had never been able to loose weight on my own. Then we moved and other stresses in my life (like menopause for one). My stats were very good and I just got lax and started eating what I wanted and eating away the stress. You are sooo right about a positive out look. I wouldn’t take my stats cause I didn’t want to know for 3 years. Well I did take my stats about 3 weeks ago, after having 3 oz. rum and sugar free koolaid. The next morning my stats were 156. Well that scared me. I tried for days to get it down with no success. My doctor put me on Glybuzide along with my Metphormin and after having really bad lows and highs, I am finally stable and my BG this morning is 100. I am so happy. O, and I have lost 10 lbs! I am counting my carbs, I am very positive I WILL do this from now on! A life style change. My husband bought me a home gym, and a Wii. So I get my exercise and when its pretty I walk. I started a group after finding this wonderful site, called “Weight Loss…Daily Food Journal” It really helps to write down everything you eat. So God Bless you on this journey. You certainly are in the right place for support…Hugs, Emily