Any suggestions on why I keep hitting capillaries lately?

Several years ago on tudiabetes we had a running in-joke about “gushers”. I had forgotten about those threads until I put in a sensor a few weeks ago, and I swear blood immediately just started pouring out like I had never ever seen it before!

1 Like

I do a version of this as well. I use my fingertips to find a location for infusion and CGM sites. I look for locations with an absence of sensation. It’s not perfect but I rarely hit veins these days.

Taking shots for almost 40 years I agree with you somehow I can often feel “bad spots” when taking an insulin shot that will bleed.

But I’m not sure exactly what I feel or if my belief is real or not.

In any event with CGM sensors I do not yet have this feeling (it may not even be possible).

Historically for me the least common site for a gusher was my belly and that’s where my sensors go so at least it’s a good start.

But I have had at least one “real gusher” with a sensor on my belly.

I use the back of my arms for sensors. That’s the best most stable place. Even if dexcom says only put on your belly. Your arms are probably better.

On your belly your veins all converge at your belly button so the closer you are , the more likely you are to hit one.
If you drag your needle across your skin you will figure out where the veins are. The skin is a lot more sensitive where there are veins. You just need to pay attention to how it feels. A good spot almost feels nothing at all.