Any T-1's on Victoza?

Hi David!

Any feedback on how Victoza is effecting your BG levels. I have a smiliar situation with taking symlin 3xday and just switched to Victoza .6 day. Im curious to see how yourve titrated your dose and if you have been experiencing any unexpected lows??

Hi Sharon,

I have not had unexpected lows. I was faithful about posting how it was going and then I got lazy...same can be said about me keeping my eye on the ball with my BG! Overall it has been great being on Victoza and I would recommend it. My control has been worse, not because of Victoza, but because I have been a slacker.

Thanks Richelle. I'm a LADA and my ENDO suggested I try Victoza because of my insulin resistance. I'm on 1.2mg and have reduced my total daily insulin use by about 30%. I'm going to try splitting the dose like you suggest as I'm having some issues with lows due to exercise as well as unexpected lows in the afternoon (about 8 hours after my morning dose). I'm still experimenting, but it seems to be working for me.

There are several digestive hormones that relate to blood sugar and appetite control including Amylin (which Symlin is for), Glucagon-like peptide hormone-1 (which Victoza is 97% like the human form of GLP-1), leptin, grehlin, and more.

Each digestive hormone helps in a different, but similar way with the digestive process. Some help with stomach rate of digestion. Some help with appetite suppression. Some help tell a functioning pancreas to secrete insulin when food is present. Some shut off glucgagon which makes the liver stop producing (as much) sugar after meals. There are receptors all over the body and each hormone works in different ways in different body parts, though some of their actions seem to overlap. :o)

Symlin is very short acting (about 4 hours) where Victoza lasts about 26 hours, so people like taking 1 injection/day vs. 3/day. Symlin more 'dramatically' 'covers' meal time BG spikes, Victoza more 'dramatically' 'covers' basal insulin (because of decreased glucagon and liver sugar).

However, I would love to hear more about what people actually comparing Symlin to Victoza actually find with their BGs after meals, overnight, between long periods without eating, etc.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Katrina ever tried Victoza instead of Symlin. I'd love to know what your tolerence, satiety, side effects, low BG issues, digestion rate, etc. would be like comparing Symlin to Victoza individually and not simultaneously.

If anyone else switched from Symlin to Victoza, please feel free to elaborate!! :o)
Thanks!