Anybody using 505 software update yet? Is it that much more accurate?

When I get large errors from the Dexcom, it is usually one of two things (a) the first day of wear, which for me is a little flaky (especially the first few hours) or (b) the sensor is beyond 7 days and wearing out. In that case, I replace it .

Other situations where I get unusual readings : after a shower or when something hot (like my laptop) has been resting against it, or after lying on it in bed asleep for an extended period.

Sometimes when I remove it after it has been acting crazy, there is a lot of blood.

I have monitored all of these possibilities but except for when my sensors get to the very end when they go gaga and then totally kaput, this doesn't seem to be the case for me, this happens even in the first week after the sensor has had time to settle in. I have tried to avoid putting heat and pressure on it. I don't know what is happening but I don't think it is those issues most of the time, maybe this is just as good as it is going to get for me.

I have never had any bleeding or swelling problems with g4 and the new sensors up until the last sensor which was high on my abdomen area and hurt a bit going in. But no bleeding with that one but more than the usual irregular numbers maybe.

I have had very little irritations etc. overall with g4 fortunately, just a small red area that goes away over time. The last one though I have a larger red lump, which was inflamed, not as bad as my very first dexcom where I had a huge lump and a rash and gave up. I do have itching though on and off and if I scratch the skin around it a bit it helps and then it eventually goes away. But I guess that is a sign that my body still really can't stand the sensors and it's rebelling against them.

My insets on the other hand I frequently have bleeding with even if there have been no irritation or absorption problems.

I use double fingersticks to calibrate the Dex so I can minimize the effect of fingerstick error.

Yep... I've had to start doing that more and more often.

I don't know if my Contour NextLink is just becoming more inaccurate or what!

I posted this message on another section of the forum here, but I am posting it here again to reach more people that might not see it otherwise. I had the problems with the accuracy of the new 505 software, as others have mentioned here and in the other thread. I did figure out ultimately that it was related to my doctor prescribing me the wrong strips for my standard glucose meter. Here it is:

I was having issues similar to what people on this group have mentioned. I think I figured out what is going on with the inaccurate numbers with Dexcom's new 505 software version. I discovered that it is not a problem with the Dexcom software in my case.

I went through Dexcom's tech support channels, and ultimately ended up on the phone with one of their supervisors. Since the update, I was having a bunch of issues. False low alarms (my real BG was 154 mg/dl, Dexcom was reading 48 mg/dl), and very inaccurate numbers otherwise. Dexcom did replace that sensor for me, but it turns out that it was not a bad sensor, like I thought. I started having to test more often, because I really didn't trust the numbers I was getting with the Dexcom G4. It would have gotten expensive very quickly, as I was having to test as many as 8 times per day.

The supervisor at Dexcom thought that it may be an issue with my blood tester, and recommended that I get a new blood tester to check the numbers against. I didn't have enough money to buy a replacement blood tester, so I contacted my blood tester manufacturer (Abbott Labs Freestyle, InsuLinx). They sent me out control solution to verify that the tester is working properly, and the control solution showed that the tester was within the specified requirements.

When I got in touch with Freestyle's tech support, they had me read off the lot number that I was using to their support representative. I came to find out that I was using the test strips that DO require coding before using them. In this case, the yellow label bottle that I was using said Code 16 on it. The Freestyle InsuLinx monitor DOES NOT require coding whatsoever, and the label on the bottle is WHITE for the InsuLinx strips. The bad thing is that Abbott labs makes 3 types of test strips, and only the InsuLinx blood test strips are compatible with my tester-however all 3 types of test strips LOOK identical and will function in the InsuLinx tester. The problem was that I was using the Freestyle test strips (wrong strips) on my Freestyle InsuLinx monitor.

I went down to the pharmacy and exchanged the unopened box of strips that I had for the InsuLinx test strips. I then started using the new strips to calibrate the Dexcom G4. Since I have been using the new strips, my blood sugar on the InsuLinx tester has been within 8 mg/dl difference from the Dexcom G4. 8 mg/dl difference is satisfactory performance to me.

The problem was caused because the doctor that I go to had prescribed me the wrong test strips! For all those that are having inaccuracies with the new 505 software, please call your manufacturer of your tester and verify that you are using the correct test strips.

I have contacted Dexcom's supervisor, and Dexcom is now aware of this issue. I really wish that test strip manufacturers would make physically different shaped or colored test strips, if multiple varieties that are NOT compatible will work on the same tester!

I hope this helps people who have had the same issues as I was having with the 505 software.

My daughter's Dexcom receiver went ferklempt a few weeks ago. I called the friendly Dexcom folks and they "accidentally" sent us an adult receiver with the 505 update installed. My daughter is one of the lucky ones: her Dexcom pediatric version was almost always frighteningly accurate, so accurate that I trusted Dexcom readings more than I did her meter readings. (Let's just say that we use a crapton less strips around here!) Her 505 adult version is also incredibly accurate, so I don't notice much of a difference. It still annoyingly lags behind after correcting a low. But this is my only complaint. I credit her pump and Dexcom, along with a great deal of interrupted sleep on my part (because I set her alarms for 70 and 140 overnight and she is currently "pubertizing")for her amazing A1C's (4's to low 6's).

This is interesting. I too have gone from much worse accuracy right after updating to good accuracy (like I had before the update) in the last few weeks. For me, the difference was the sensors. I had 3 remaining sensors from a previous shipment when I updated. All 3 of those sensors gave me horrible accuracy with the update. Sensors from the last new shipment have been working great. I realize they didn't "do" anything different to the sensors, but something happened.

You have an interesting point there. I think that the new algorithm is capable of adjusting over time as the system gets more calibrations from the blood tester. I think that artificial intelligence might be a lot farther than we know at this point. Still, it is important to make sure you are using the right test strips for the tester you have on hand. I have noticed that the sensor tracks my blood sugars way better now that I am using one from a very recent shipment as well.

Hi, Dishers ā€¦ I realize this is an old post, but Iā€™m wondering about your Dexcom-505-in-Canada comment. Iā€™m also in Canada (Vancouver) and tried updating my Dexcom receiver, but the process failed at the final step (ā€œunable to connect with Dexcomā€ or something like that). Is that because the upgrade isnā€™t available here? Thanks!

Hi Heather

As far as I know it is not available yet here in Canada, I have been waiting for the bluetooth to come to Canada so I can view it on my phone instead. been taking itā€™s time, I am thinking that they both the 505 and the bluetooth enabled will come out at the same time once FDA approves it. I think the only thing holding it up is FDA.

We have a receiver w 505 and one without it. I cannot wait for the pediatric version to be approved for 505 because I find it to be more accurate.

In general, they are fairly consistent to each other, but I find that the 505 notes rate of change better/sooner/more accurately.

That said, our new Share is pediatric without 505 and thatā€™s what weā€™re using. The difference is not so significant that I feel he needs to have the 505 with him. But when heā€™s home and we have access to both, I refer to the 505.

Ah ā€” thanks very much for the info!

1 Like