Anyone else (irrationally) afraid of insulin not being accessible?

Hey all. :)

Lately I've been irrationally afraid of not having access to insulin sometime in the future. I know I should probably be more worried about kidney failure or heart problems, but I can't seem to shake this nagging feeling in the back of my head, for some reason.

I know it is an irrational fear, due to statistics - I don't know of any large scale supply shortages of insulin, ever, since it's discovery. So, why do I feel this way?

I don't know if it's stress or what, but has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Not quite the same, but anytime I imagine a disaster scenario I immediately start plotting my route to the pharmacies that I will loot for insulin and test strips. Your fear sounds irrational, but there is a grain of truth there- it's actually really scary to be so dependent on a medication. We are vulnerable and constantly have to consider the effect that everything in our environment and life choices will have on our well-being. Maybe just acknowledge and look at your fears, and do some mindfullness exercises or something. In my experience, obsessive feelings lose their power if you stop fighting them and explore them instead.

Anyone who takes insulin is incredibly vulnerable. It's a cold hard fact. Without insulin, you will die.

I guess you just need to get comfortable with that fact. Everyone is vulnerable in some way. We all need food, water, shelter, and access to health care to survive. Many people struggle with some of life's basic necessities. Compared to someone living on the streets homeless, my dependence on insulin seems to pale in comparison. It's all perspective.

It's good that you've acknowledged the vulnerability. Just don't let it replace the more important business in life, like laughing and loving!

Now having taken that philosophical position, I usually have on hand a several month supply of insulin!

I don't think it's irrational.

I think of Katrina, and now The Philippines. There can be plenty of insulin in the US, but none easily accessible if you're in a horrific disaster zone.

Good idea to keep some backup around. I've got a month's extra in the fridge.

I think about this every now and then, although I admit I'm bad at keeping a big extra supply around. Every time I have a bad site, though, and watch my BG go from normal to extremely high + high ketones in a matter of three of four hours, it jumps to my mind, and I'm very conscious of the fact that I'd be in huge trouble within even half a day if my insulin supply were cut off.

I keep a stockpile or NPH and R just in case

This is feeling is quite new to me. I think it started after I thought I had a bottle of insulin left, and when I went to refill my pump I found out I had none left at all. I was in a new city, and relatively new in Denmark in general (having moved from the Faroe Islands), and it being late at night with most pharmacies closed. I started to panic and had no idea of what to do, lol. I imagined having to go to the emergency room for insulin or just having to endure the night without any insulin. Then I did a quick internet search and found that there was one "emergency pharmacy" quite close to where I live that is open 24/7. Phew, was I relieved! I went and bought insulin for at least two months, and now I keep close a close watch on my supply. I usually keep around 2 months' worth at all times, lol. :D

Anyway, thanks for the advice on perspective. :) I will try to "navigate" my fears a bit better to see if it helps!

I live like 1/4 mile from a 24 hour Walgreens and have an axe.

From a little bit of a bigger perspective. Eli Lilly is expanding their ability to produce insulin to keep up with the unfortunate growth in the diabetic population. Story here

HAHAHA

I watch Walking Dead too, and have wondered how long I would last in that situation, lol. Not long, most likely. :)

Luckily, we don't have many natural disasters in Denmark, other than storms and flooding, but I live in an area that only very seldomly floods. Supplies for a few months should cover that quite well.

I try to save on my pumping supplies, so I can hoard them in case I need to go a long time without new shipments. I get supplies sent by courier every 3 months from Roche and that is going well. I think I have at least enough for 6 months.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine how I would cope if I couldn't afford food. :( But money is also a constant worry for me. I keep thinking something will happen to the Danish economy, that will make it necessary for sick people, like me, to pay more out of pocket for the supplies we get. Currently I pay around $500 out of pocket each year for all my diabetes stuff and migraine medications. That amount I can happily live with, considering the cost of diabetes treatment! However, I am a student and don't have much money to take from to begin with...

Wow, diabetes seems to be really taking off around the World. I wonder if Novo Nordisk has a similar problem? That's where I get my insulin from.