Anyone ever cross-thread battery cap on Medtronic pump?

Was changing infusion set this morning before work and just as I was getting ready to rewind, LOW BATTERY warning came on. I figured it had enough to rewind and prime and it did so right after getting hooked up I went and got a battery and out with the old in with new. This is a new pump, was still on original battery so while putting cap back on it felt a little tight but I figured it was because it was new and kept turning a good couple turns then it starts getting hard. I look and it still had about half-3/4 turn left to be fully seated and I can see it is crossed. Connection was made however and pump has been up and running. Did not want to release and have to use another new battery and possibly have it be messed up too much to get on again. Will take a “careful” look when this battery gets low and have an extra cap from last pump but has anyone ever messed up the threads enough that pump had to be fixed/replaced? yeah I know, I’m Dumb A__ for not taking a closer look on first couple turns…

Yikes! That’s bad luck. but many of us have done things like this. I once over-torqued the battery cap on my pump and cracked the pump body. Animas very graciously replaced the pump for me.

If it were me, I would take the battery cap off at the earliest convenient opportunity and inspect. At least you’ll know the extent of the damage and whether you can live with it.

Yeah, definitely the plan, check it close, under good light after this battery goes belly up. I have heard of cracking the case tightening them like you said.

If you call Medtroinc now they will advise how to proceed including the possibility of replacing it (the capo or pump) overnight free of charge. Doing so will allow you to keep the pump going whiel the fix is in progress. Waiting may mean 24 hours back on MDI.

rick

You strike me as anything but a Dumb A$$! Let us know how this plays out.

1 Like

Luckily my old pump is/was still functioning if need be. load it up and it could fill gap.

Well people call me by different first names but the last name (A$$) never seems to change!

1 Like

First Battery change since cross thread and after careful removal and cleaning threads, screwed back in normally and all the way down. Tough tough plastic, in the words of the blues brothers “good stuff”…