Anyone heard of GLUCOPHONE?

I saw in a magazine there is a cell phone that is also a glucose monitor, any one heard of it or use it, just curious? I also just checked out their website.

Wow I’ve not heard of that! Sounds interesting I must take a look.

Sounds familiar like something I read.

Soo…does it test through your ear while you’re on the phone or something?
I don’t get it…

its a phone with a built in glucose meter, you stick a test strip in the side, google glucophone

Crazy. Now if we were not distracted enough we can talk and test at the same time. Of course some will do it while driving.

Hey, I’m actually in that industry so i know quite a bit about Glucophone. It was created by Health PIA which is a Korean based company, they made their Glucophones successful by pairing them with another Korean company you might have heard of, LG. However, when they brought the company over to the U.S., many legal problems began to arise. Check out

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electronicdiscoveryblog.com%2Fcases%2Fdiabetes_ctrs.pdf&ei=3Uk0SePoJYyQ9QTcp8TrCg&usg=AFQjCNG31kHuariQrvroqaziPLq9JrBX-g&sig2=L38oIoU5u9_q1x0K4R97pg

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, they are no longer in existence here in the US. I’ve tried contacting them a number of times at various registered locations, emails, and phone numbers. They all are out of service or I get no response.

These sort of devices should be out on the market shortly, though. It’s the natural progression of diabetic devices to begin more efficient integration with mobile devices.

I featured this in a blog posting back in May. Glucophone does exist, and while the product looks pretty neat to me, the downside is that so far, the only carrier that works with the phone is the LogicMobile (a pre-paid carrier), though the company claims they are now working on other phones and carriers. However, the real test will be if they can get insurance plans to pay for their strips, and that remains to be seen.

Scott,
Interesting info. I have a number of questions for you regarding your statements.

“Glucophone does exist” : Have you tried one? Been able to order one? Seen them anywhere?

“though the company claims they are now working on other phones and carriers.”: Have they claimed this to you directly? If so, who have you spoken to and how did you get a hold of that person?

“However, the real test will be if they can get insurance plans to pay for their strips, and that remains to be seen.”- Did they tell you that is their biggest hurdle or that just your assumption?

My point is, that even if you have a toll free number, and some PR, take a look at the website…copyright still 2007. call the number, you get one individual who picks up…sales representatives are usually busy assisting other people… The glucophone has “supposedly” been out for almost 2 years now (that’s when the last media coverage occurred in 2007) and still it is only for devices sold through “Logic Mobile”. Parlay that with www.healthpia.us contact page is totally non-working, combined with they have pending cases involving copyright infringement and there’s no way to get a hold of the CEO of the company. Also, the company listing (both phone and address) as it pertains to their legal corporation listing is no longer in service…I’d pretty much say that you won’t be using Glucophone anytime soon.
That’s just my take on it.