Anyone on here a seamstress/ tailor?

We have made our son a bunch of custom shirts that have a pocket for his phone and for his pump, so that he can wear them unobtrusively. I’d like to open-source the plans but I’m not a tailor and don’t know how to translate the work into a pattern.
Is anyone on here capable in this regard and able to take the basic idea and turn it into a pattern that anyone could use to make their own similar shirts?

I am not a “seamstress”, but my mother was and designed and made wardrobes for people. She did teach me how to do some of that. If I like something and buy it, but want something slightly different or in a different fabric, I will deconstruct it, make a pattern with added 5/8th inch for the seam allowance. Are you making these shirts from scratch, or are you modifying a shirt? I might be able to help, or my daughter might, as she designs her own costumes and clothing when she has time.

2 Likes

We’re just buying undershirts and then modifying them. So pretty easy and simple I would imagine…I just don’t know all the technical symbols used on a pattern.

If I can figure out how to add a picture of symbols on here I will do that. You could just make up your own symbols and use a “key” to indicate what they mean. Most markings on a pattern are there so it is easy to match the pieces and put the correct ones together in the correct way. You wouldn’t be adding “darts” and those are the only somewhat confusing markings on a pattern. The notches that you cut in a pattern, are simply there to help with putting the pieces together before sewing. Half of the time, I don’t even bother with the markings, as I already know what I am going to do.

Since you are just modifying undershirts, you probably only need to add measurements where you are either cutting or sewing the pockets. (I hope that makes sense.)

1 Like

I’m not a seamstress either, but I do make articles of clothing, mostly costumes for Caleb’s dance, and know my way around a pattern. I’m willing to give it a try.