Anyone read Not Dead Yet by Phil Southerland?

I guess I just stick my head in the sand; I have never seen Steel Magnolias and never will, because of what I have heard about the scene.

I think for a newbie or a caregiver of someone with T1 the requisite Steel Magnolias scene could be very scary.

But for you or me? No problem. I'm not trying to be callous or anything but what can a fictionalized representation in a movie, teach you or me about what we've already gone through for real?

In a way it was easier in 1961 (less equipment), but harder on the long term results. I had no blood glucose testing equipment, WE USED TESTAPE (what a joke that was) so you never knew your true glucose levels and everything was a big guess. There were no disposible syringes, needles, alcohol swabs, no insulin pens, I couldn't even get a diet soda in a restaurant. Think about that in comparison to now.

I have posted here before about my parent's courage making me take care of myself. I look back and think how hard it must have been, but they did things like help coach the softball team, but they were never there all the time, hovering. I am sure they worried all the time, but I learned to take care of myself which served me for life.

They made me become the captain of my ship and I have passed the 50 year mark with Type 1 and only have some mild retinopathy to show for it.

Good luck to all the parents of Type 1 children. Remember: if you teach them how to fish, they can feed themselves forever.

I picked up the book and I put it back down after flipping through it at the library. The reason I put it back down was that he claimed that when he was diagnosed he was the youngest person ever diagnosed, and that is totally false and self aggrandizing. I wrote a bit about that on my blog; I went and looked up younger people diagnosed earlier.

thanks aimee! lets chat soon, off for vaca tomorrow, hope you are well. amy