Anyone using Medtronics newest pump yet? The 670g

@thoffmanjr

Thank you for your response thoffmanjr. I do a lot of research, inquiry and trouble shooting. Now my original question/post may have merely been a bad box, they clearly have manufacturing issues on occasion which isn’t necessarily good when it comes to this life and death type of healthcare. But I haven’t had any problems with sensors not lasting a full 7 days since I made absolutely certain my transmitter was fully charged each time. When the recharger light goes out, I’ll take the transmitter off of it and reinsert it onto the charger to get a whole/solid green light right before I place it into the needle housing/sensor already in my skin. I have had issues with the sensor creating an artificially low ISIG a couple times, both times usually after a blood spurt on insertion. Those needed replacement right away and didn’t have anything to do with with the 5 day thing you experienced.
Also, relative to manufacturing issues I had a box of the mini med infusion set where the needle to insert was inset below the catheter portion on the whole box, so when it got injected, the catheter bent before going in and you simply wouldn’t get insulin at all. That took me a day and a half to figure out ::embarrassed::.
Useless info for most, but maybe someone else will see this and recognize the issue if/when it happens to them.

Hi Lisa77, thank you for your reply.
I haven’t utilized the auto mode yet I have manually bolused and will shortly get the A1c checked next Monday to see how effective that was for the first 3 months, then switch to auto to compare those numbers after the next 3 months. Make sure your infusion set catheter doesn’t get bent going in, that seems to happen more often than it should imo and you’ll never know it since it’s hiding under a bunch of adhesive other than wonky BS readings over time. Your A1cs are reasonable so congratulations, can you imagine what they were 46 years ago when they didn’t really monitor that stuff as accurately/often? And yes, my BS drop like a rock when I exercise, I just have to know when to stop and what to eat so it doesn’t counter it into a roller coaster. I’m still figuring that out myself.

what do you mean by “the needle housing”? Do you simply mean “the sensor”?

Try reducing your pre-exercise basal to 50% OR LESS, 1.5 to 2 hours prior. Also, If bolusing for food within roughly 3 hours prior to heavy exercise, reduce your bolus as well.

yes dave44, sorry, the sensor as the housing has been removed by then.

housing equal transmitter?

transmitter I believe is the removable piece you recharge and reuse for each sensor. The needle housing is that long needle vertical piece you remove once the sensor is inserted. I personally usually take that off last.

"Try reducing your pre-exercise basal to 50% OR LESS, 1.5 to 2 hours prior. Also, If bolusing for food within roughly 3 hours prior to heavy exercise, reduce your bolus as well."
Great info thank you, I’ll play around with these settings if the suspending of the basal at time of excercise doesn’t continue to be effective for me.

yep, that’s the transmitter.

what I wrote is a good starting point. For sure, reduce basals NO LESS than 90 minutes from sustained activity levels. Slowing down your pump to even ZERO isn’t going to do much for preventing lows during heavy activity if you set to zero just as you begin the activity.

I usually have a 50% basal set, 90-120 minutes prior to hiking up a 900’ elevation rise. Using the numbers from my Dexcom, I’ll often set it to zero along the way, if I’m dropping more than I’d like. Once I begin the downward, return hike, I often will reset my pump back to 50% temp basal, or turn it on to the normal basal, and often, before I get back to my car, I’ll bolus a unit or so, to keep me level. Dexcom and a pump are a great combo!

You might want to call the medtronic help line when your sensor acts up. They have some fixes to get sensors working again. Also they sometimes replace failing sensors if they can’t fix them.

I thought my CGM was bad cause my readings were all over the place. I called Medtronic to troubleshoot and found out I was calibrating too much. They told me I was actually confusing my 551 insulin pump by doing this.

MM replaced at least 22 of my Enlites, due to failures. And don’t think I didn’t put them where I’m supposed to! Put them all on my tummy towards the love handle area. even had a MM rep come to my house to investigate. Finally gave up on Enlites (plus, now that I’m on Medicare, they only pay for G5 which is FINE with me, thanks to the far superior reliability of readings, even when in bed. that was something the Enlites were especially bad at–keeping accuracy when reclined)

they would tell me that too, but when the readings are wacky, it’s either TRY to get it into compliance, or spend hours on the phone with MM, which is great at making all kinds of excuses for wacky readings. I’m fine with their support for pumps, but for sensors, IMO it is beyond abysmal. I made a second career out of speaking with MM techs about sensor issues. Glad that’s all behind me now!!

It was just a thought. I was talking about the G3 sensors. I called twice about one last week and they got it running both times. Then the next day it failed and pump said to replace it. 3 days early too. So they never really fixed anything and I didn’t get a replacement.

Is it G5? The new G sensor anyway.

When you say G3, I think you mean the latest Medtronic Guardian 3, which only work with 670 pump.

Before G3, medtronic made sensors called Sof-sensors, then Enlites.

Dexcom originally had a 3 day sensor, then a 7 day sensor they called Seven. Then Dexcom made the G4, then G5. I think the G was for generation. G6 is next.

I started on medtronic Sof-sensors in 2007, then switched to dexcom seven in 2011. Now still using dexcom G4.

Some have posted that the medtronic Guardian3 with 670 is much improved over enlites and close to accuracy of dexcom G4, G5.

Putting the sensor on the back of my arm may be the answer. 2 in a row with no CGM issues.

This new sensor works much better than the earlier version. The 670 auto mode not so good. I turned it off and use the manual mode and use the auto off before lows. Works well this way for me.

I’ve been on the 670g since late June 17 and in Auto Mode since 7/3/17. The first few weeks were pretty rough. My 5.6 - 5.8 A1C went up to 6.0 at first and I was very frustrated with the much improved accuracy of the Guardian 3 sensors because they were very persnickety about calibrations.
My last A1C was 5.6 and my pump and I have come to terms. For me this pump is nearly as much work as previous pumps but it’s different work and the results are fabulous. On the 530 then the 630, when my endo and I reviewed the graphs, it looked like the “terror train” rollercoaster. Back and forth between 280 and 50 mg/dl. I was so exhausted and frustrated. On the 670, it’s now a little kiddie ride and I’m able to stay in range 85 -97% of the time. I still find the Guardian 3s persnickety but very accurate and the secret algorithm seems to have me really figured out! Yeah Medtronic! Yeah me!