Applying for a job

Do you ever worry about taking time off for doctor appointments if you get a new job?

This fear has stopped me many times from applying for jobs... If I'm the only one doing that job and I take more time off than the average person, I'm afraid it will cause a problem.

The reason I'm asking is I'm unhappy with my current job and would like to find another one, but the one positive to my current job is I can take time for doctor appts. without a problem.

I know an employer "has to" allow you to do these things, but I have seen people pushed in ways that probably are technically not legal. Companies know they have the upper hand since people are desperate for jobs.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has experience with this issue, good or bad?

I do agree that in a tight job market there are always ways employers can put subtle pressure on that people feel obligated to comply. That being said, though: Personally I would not let my desire for a job that was more money and more fulfilling be halted by this type of concern. Most places are willing to work with a reasonable amount of appointments and I'm not sure if you have extra medical problems, but other wise how many times do we need to see our doctor or endo? If you are currently dealing with something major or newly diagnosed, yes, I would wait till that stabilized.

Aside from working with your employer and/or using your sick time, vacation time etc., getting a new job is an opportunity to arrange things conveniently: Find a doctor nearer to your office so you can perhaps have a long lunch hour appointment; find a doctor with later hours. One thing I liked a lot throughout my career is working 4-10
s or a 9/80 schedule. When you have an extra weekday off every week or every other week that is a great day to do various appointments that need to be scheduled during work hours. I've also often worked places where you could flex your schedule in smaller ways like starting work early or late so there is an hour of "appointment time" at either end of the day. Again, I wouldn't let D hold you back from the job you want!

Good question & very sound answer from Zoe.

I'm in Canada and so things may be different here, but I try to take as little time off for doctors as possible. Some of my doctors open at 7:30 an I make the earliest appointment available so that I can get to work after (I'm usually late but we have some flex hours so that's not a problem). I also try to "group" appointments on the same day if possible so that I can take one personal/"vacation" day and see multiple doctors at once.

It can be hard, though. I see an endocrinologist every three months, ophthalmologist every six months, cardiologist every six months, GP several times a year, and other doctors as needed. My allergist and GP have recommended allergy shots but thus far I've declined because I don't know how I would fit a weekly or twice-weekly appointment in when I already see so many doctors.

I agree with Zoe, I would apply for the job you want and then work out the details of doctors after. I'm sure there are many people with conditions besides diabetes that face similar issues, I can't imagine it would be that uncommon.

If you are here in the US, you MIGHT potentially qualify for FMLA benefits. That allows you up to 12 weeks per year of time off and your job is protected. You can use it for yourself, family members, etc. I think the company you work for has to employ at least 50 people to offer FMLA benefits. But it might be worth keeping in mind. Of course FMLA is not paid time off, it just protects your job, and the nice thing is, you can use an hour here, a day there, etc.

Jen,
You're right, I didn't really think about the fact that there are many other reasons people would have multiple dr appts and most employers should be accustomed to this.

I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but if you have a friend or relative who is an RN (or possibly an LPN), ask your allergist if that person can administer your allergy injections (they would have to be available to you for a couple hours after each shot in case of a reaction - at least during the buildup phase and maybe or maybe not once you reach the maintenance dose). Or if one of your doctors works for a clinic that has another location closer to your home or job, maybe one of those nurses could do it.