Are LADAs a subset of MODYS?

Like this?

No, MODY is caused by a genetic mutation. LADA is autoimmune. The two are not related.

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

Mody is genetic as far as we know, type 1 is not. Some people who have Mody don’t even need insulin, one of my students had that type of mody and just had to watch his diet, no other treatments. Lada is type 1 autoimmune, it is just a name given I suppose for people who get it later in life- sometimes it comes on more slowly it seems but not always. I guess it is not a medical term really, but many in the medical profession seem to be unaware that at least half of those who have type 1 were over the age of 30 when it came on.

2 Likes

MODY is “trivially genetic” carried by one of several already identified genes (HNF1-alpha, HNF4-alpha, HNF1-beta).

Type 1 - autoimmune - has a well known but evidently much more complex genetic component. Quoting NIH: “A predisposition to develop type 1 diabetes is passed through generations in families, but the inheritance pattern is unknown.”. And Wikipedia: “Incidence of type 1 diabetes varies from 8 to 17 per 100,000 in Northern Europe and the US, with a high of about 35 per 100,000 in Scandinavia to a low of 1 per 100,000 in Japan and China.”

1 Like

Thanks guys. That helps clarify

LADA is " Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults ( LADA ) is a slow-progressing form of autoimmune diabetes ." I googled it.

Hehehe, I should know this after posting in the “Type 1 or LADA” category for so many years.

Mody is not that simple from what I have read, and it is not autoimmune from what I have read. I haven’t read that much about the genetic component of type 1 but I believe it is different. No one in my family has type 1, I am the only one. There are other autoimmune diseases. No diabetes at all as far as I know.

I think LADA is a subset of T1D. I don’t believe it is a formal medical term and I thought its main characteristic is slow onset. My diabetes presented itself at the age of 30 but I know that I had symptoms up to a year before my diagnosis. Fortunately, I was diagnosed correctly, unlike many with slow onset diabetes in adults.

Now I can’t remember which one comes from the Faeroe islands. Thats the LADAs, right?

Interesting that Wil Dubois at DiabetesMine has posted a column about LADA today.

2 Likes

This is a great article Terry, thank you!

1 Like