Are u agree?

THEY TOLD ME THAT THE LIFE SPAN OF PEOPLE HAVING A DIABETES IS UP TO 30 YRS STARTING WHEN U DIAGNOSE…???ARE U AGREE??EXPLAIN,

Lots of people live a lot longer than that. Got a friend that has had diabetes for 0ver 40 years. No significant complications even, at least that I know of. Still rides his motorcycle wherever he wants, works every day.

I think as long as you take care of yourself and on top of diabetes, you can live just as long as anyone without diabetes!

No, I dont agree, life’s too “short”, but dont make it “shorter” by not taking care of yourself…

No. I’m coming on my 25th year with type one, let’s not forget the others picking up their fifty year medals.

That may have been true in the 20’s-30’s. No more. We play by the rules for the most part and are actually healthier in many cases than our peers without diabetes.

hi! NO!!! i can’t agree with these. every human body has individual resistance, life forces, psychological balance. plus correct treatment, diet, exercises! you shouldn’t worry. just live and get satisfaction!!!

I would say it was true up until the 40s as I had an uncle that died at age 16 because of diabetes complications then. However, there have been so many advancements in diabetes care and knowledge in the last 5+ decades that diabetics live a normal length lifespan as long as we take care of ourselves.

Members of tudiabetes.com, how long have you been living/thriving with diabetes?

Me? I hit my one-year anniversary in October. I sure think I have more than 29 years to go!

When I was DX 35 years ago people were telling my parents that I would be lucky to live till im 20! Well ive proved them because ive almost doubled that and it still doesnt stop from doing what I want!

That sounds like a REALLY old statistic.

I disagree. I am sitting at 28 1/2 years as a diabetic. If you make the best effort to take care of yourself i truly believe you can have a long healthy life.

I hope not…haha…I’ll be dead in 10 years and I’m not even 30 yet!

I’ve never heard this before not sure why your dr’s told you this.

that is if let untreated.

When I was diagnosed 27 years ago, I was told that I could expect to live to my 50s – about 30 more years. But that was a long time ago. And think how much care has changed over that time: Back then, there was no carb counting, no pumping, no DCCT results, no home glucose monitoring (I had to pee in a cup and use tablets and test tubes and eye droppers to see what my BG had been over the last 4-6 hours, as opposed to what it is at the moment), no cholesterol lowering drugs, statins, CGMs or any of the other technology that we use today. My control isn’t great – usually my a1cs are in the 7s – but I am otherwise in pretty good shape. I may not have another 30 years left from now, but I I have a lot more living still to do.

I know when i was diagnosed my parents were told my life expectancy was to around age 27 but that was a long time ago.

Hi Amabelle,
Many other members have stated it already. Indeed, the main reason someone with diabetes may not live more than 30 years after getting diagnosed is having their diabetes out of control.

Here is a story of Olaf, one of our members, who has lived with diabetes more than 50 years:
http://tudiabetes.com/forum/topics/583967:Topic:167941

Here is another story, of Richard Vaughn (another member), who has had diabetes more than 62 years:
http://tudiabetes.com/notes/62_Years_of_Type_1_Diabetes_by_Richard_Vaughn

How do you manage your diabetes? Do you take insulin shots?

Hi Anabelle,
It is true that people with diabetes with the proper treatment, care and control, can and will live a long healthy life, without developing any complications at all.

Sadly this statement depends 100% on the care the person receives and the control and monitoring of the blood sugar levels. The average care and education a person with diabetes gets in the United States is very different than in developing countries, likes yours or mine (Venezuela)
So the realities here in the United States are a lot more positive that the sad statistics we get in other less fortunate countries. I was just reading few days ago about this on the IDF site:

“Blood glucose self-monitoring is rarely used in developing countries. (…) Studies recently carried out in Zambia, Mali and Mozambique highlight a stark reality: a person requiring insulin for survival in Zambia will live an average of 11 years; a person in Mali can expect to live for 30 months; in Mozambique a person requiring insulin will be dead within 12 months.”

So, I am not sure how the situation is in the Philippines, but it may be that the 30 year time frame they told you, although it sounds like it just can not be in a other people’s “reality” (including my own) it may have something true on it.

It is very sad, hopefully TuDiabetes can help with the Education part, it is a long run Anabelle. But one thing I am sure of, just asking this question its a great start. It really depend on the control.

Hope this helps, hugs,