Are you a red head?

wow I just asked then you answered when I (you) posted. Yeah let me know about that article if you can find it. I have been wondering about this for years.

I have t1, and I have black hair. I dont think Ive ever met a t1 with red hairā€¦

Interesting theory about Indians. Is it type 1 or type 2 that weā€™re supposed to be getting? Cause Im a type 1. My dads side of the family is West Indian. West Indians arent from India, weā€™re from South America and Pacific Islands. Dad was born in Guyana, South America and lived on one of the islands for a while as a kid. He came to the USA in high school. We still have family in Guyana.
Papa (dads dad) is a type 2, and Iā€™m a type 1. However, Im the only one in the family with type 1.

Eric has a lot of red in his hair, but you couldnā€™t legitimately call him a redhead. Stillā€¦ interesting consideration from a genetic standpoint.

Oh ok. Im pretty sure Papa is the only one with type 2ā€¦there may be a few others, but not many. And like I said, Im the only type 1.

Oh, thereā€™s a lot of stuff on Scandinavians. They have very very high percentages of T1 diagnosis. They found that simply supplementing with vitamin D did an awful lot to reduce the incidence of T1 in children (there was a long-term study that followed a cohort of kids given vitamin D over at least a decade).

This is the article:

http://sandrablakeslee.com/articles/ice_age_diabetes_may05.php

There are also people on my motherā€™s side, both her father and her mother, with last names that can be traced to Sardinia and Genoa ā€“ both places in Italy that have unusually high rates of diabetes.

Well anyway, no one in recent memory that I know of has/had this, but then again insulin treatment was only developed in what ā€“ 1921? ā€“ and on top of that, people didnā€™t reveal as much about their health in the old days, so how I got this will continue to be a mysteryā€¦

Yeah and I found a study on the internet on women with gestational diabetes in Sardinia who developed T1 after 4 years. This is what happened to me after my second and last pregnancy! Although I know for sure that I have Finnish genes, Iā€™m not sure about the Sardinian connection through my maternal grandmother even though her last name is not common (Leopizzi) and there are some Leopizzis in Sardinia.

caprifoglio-
Thanks for the article/Link. I never heard any of that.

Iā€™m a brownish redheadā€¦Its the Irish poking through lol

Interesting thought. I was very redheaded as a child (carrot red) which turned deep auburn as a late teen into adulthood. The T1 in our family is our son. He was very blond with slightly red highlights up until about age 8. Now he is what they call dirty blond (a light sandy brown), not a redhead but son of a redhead and grandson of another redhead.

I have one niece who is the daughter of a redhead (my sister) so she also has a redheaded grandmother and she, the niece, has celiac.

Cheryl

Thanks for the info everyone. Iā€™m always looking at different things in my life (anything and everything) that may have had an effect on getting type1. I couldnā€™t avoid the noticeably high rate of red heads with type1 in MY opinion. It will be great to look back on this when they cure type1 and see what the relation is, if there is any relation at all. Weā€™ll see.
=)

I am a red headā€¦Miss Clariol color number 45678. dazzeling red ā€¦Just kidding. It is mostly gray according to my roots.

i have red hair

1 Like

I am a redhead (Scottish heritage) and have Type 1. I read somewhere that Type 1 is much more common in Scotland than in England.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a very interesting theory. My paternal aunt was a vibrant red-head and she had type 1. I was born with red hair, and it still has a reddish tint in the summer and Iā€™m type 1. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s just coincidence thoughā€¦

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™m a redhead. Iā€™m mostly Scottish/Irish, so Iā€™ve got the freckled, pale skin, too.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got reddish blonde hair. :smiley: (And type 1.)

1 Like

My son has red hair and has type 1. He also has peanut and egg allergies, asthma, and excema. These are all autoimmune disorders and I have often wondered if his red hair plays a part somehow. His younger brother has darker red hair and so far no diabetes or allergies just excema and mild asthma. My husband was diagnosed with type 1 last year and has dark brown hair but with a bit of red in his beard.