Are You Embarrassed by D

One time a well-meaning friend told me that i didn’t look diabetic either because i didn’t have any sores. Unbelievable!!

i had just moved to a new city when diagnosed with t1. two days later i had an irish breakfast get-together at a new friends house. baked beans, toast galore. i went and told some of these people i had pretty much just met about it. they were all cool with it.
meeting up with friends from pre-diagnosis is a bit different. i met up with a good friend in gibraltar and couldnt bring myself to tell him. shot up and did bgs in the bathroom. same happened with some friends from madrid. went out of my way to hide it for three whole days i spent with them. its very weird. im not ashamed, i dont know what it is, dont want to disappoint? dont want to make them feel sorry for me? if i admit it to them its more real to me?
i just started a new job this week and didnt want to tell anyone. for some reason. i dont know why! ended up sucking down a sachet of sugar and doing my bg without saying anything. one of them just asked, i said yeah, end of story. it gets tiring this telling people about it...

I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished with diabetes and the support of a great family and lots of friends who've helped me. I needed to exercise, my friend got me into TKD and was a good enough teacher that I went all in and got in decent shape and I'm very glad that I learned enough about myself to get more into running after I had to leave that community for work. I'm also proud to have participated in message boards, both ADA and Tu, and that I've been able to meet people and talk about stuff I hadn't in > 20 years of having had diabetes.

I'm not embarrassed by D, but I'm not as comfortable with it as I'd like to be. I test everywhere- the subway, the street, in restaurants, etc., but I'm not ready to take a shot in public. The lack of personal space in NYC is definitely a factor. Restaurants and other public spaces can be so crowded that I might splash a stranger with insulin while doing an air shot!

I also get stressed about the possibility that people would watch. Once, I was getting psyched up to take a shot in an ice cream shop, when a little boy sat down almost directly across from me and started talking to me about his ice cream. I lost my nerve, but I'm sure I'll eventually be ready to take a shot in public.

Interesting to see the range of responses here.

I get that ALL the time, but I don't take it as they think I 'like' injecting, their tone is always one of awe of how strong I must be to be able to inject myself all the time.

Instead of explaining to them that I absolutely loathed the thought and feel of injections just as much as the next person, and that being told at the age of 9 that this is the only way to keep yourself alive, and that this is going to be your new life, you end up doing what you have to, and it becomes your new normal. Instead of going into that with everyone, I just nod and smile and say, "when you HAVE to do it, you do it."

It's not embarrassing at all for me, if anything, they are commending me for some super-strength they believe I have, but I know deep down, I'm just like everyone else, when you are faced with something like this, you end up having to suck-it-up and deal with it. No super-magical-strength involved.

You should not be embarrassed by having diabetes, but you should be for using a term like glucometer. It sounds like a term from 1900. I have not seen it written or said in a long time. :)

I accidentally said "sugar diabetes" last week ! WHAT THE HE--? I'm not even old enough to know that term.

TIMOTHY, THE CHEEK OF YE ! What are they calling glucometers these days. I can't keep up with all these fandangled gadgets. Do you remember the video glucometers, I will keep calling my glucometer a glucometer until I feel ready to move with the times. In all fairness I think I've been D since the 1900's.

I understand "Diabetic Pride" completely. I make no bones about my Type 1, what I need to do, etc. It is as much as part of who I am as my brown eyes. I can't change it.

I have written here before that I use myself to educate people. I explain things. "Oh, my pump just beeped because it thinks my glucose reading is a little low..." It leads to the ineveitable questions like "What is low? What do you do? Why does it go low? Shouldn't you eat? How does your pump know that?" Those allow me to explain things.

In the last 16 years, I had paramedic visits twice at work. They were unusual situations and I was embarrased the first time a great deal. Then I really thought about it, and decided I had to go back into work, hold my head up and move on or my relationship with my coworkers might be broken beyond repair. That is just what I did. If they didn't like it, they could have the problem.....not me. It actually strengthened my relationship with several of them.

I will however, share the one really embarassing thing that happened. With the second paramedic visit mentioned above (different job,) I had recognized I was low and went to a friend in my office for help. She asked what to get me and I said Coke would work the fastest. She came back with a liter bottle of warm soda and poured me several glasses, which I drank. I was not improving, so more soda was poured.... One of my reactions to a really low glucose level is to vomit. Need I say more? Then, it turned out that she had been pouring me DIET coke, as that was what I drank all the time and she was so worried about me she had not thought about WHY I needed the coke. We are, by the way, still really good friends.

And the ladies in my office enjoyed all the cute firemen, so I got a break there! I was not the only thing to watch. :)

I'm not the one who's embarrassed--it's my mother. I think she still blames herself for the fact that I have diabetes at all and is very uncomfortable with my having to "deal" with it in public. I've been a Type 1 since 1960 (which was before they even called it Type 1) and she always wanted me to leave the table to get my injections and is only slightly less uncomfortable when I mess with the pump in public. She says it makes her sad to know that I have to do these things, which is something I didn't understand until my husband got cancer. Now I'm a lot more understanding.

I know how like a slap in the face it is, Cinderfella. I just say "You do what you have to do to survive, and YOU would do the same thing." Thankfully, I don't hear it very often.

sweetie, what else do you call a glucometer other than a glucometer. If I just shorten it my "meter" when taling with the to the diabetic unititated, they couod think I am talking about the gas or electric meter on my house, or one of the many meters on my car. Everyone does not live in our diabetic world, darling.

Not not at all embarrassed by diabetes > In the first 15020 ears after diagnosiss I kept it "privste" and did not in ject in public nor test (coul not test)no glucometers the time). On close friends and family memebers ever saw me inject, and that was at my home or theirs . I was raised that injections on your body parts that were under your clothes was to be kept private,to keep from showing my thighs or abdomen to strangers. Never ever injected on arms.: too "ouchy" Just raised that way and still do not inject in public to this day, if needed. My southern grandaoughter moesty prevails. I I am on a pumo now, so injections are fortunatley inot needed needed often.) Like Spock I use testing as a "teachable" moment, and will test or talk about diabetes anywhere to/with anyone.

God bless,
Brunetta

not anymore but I do get embarresed from the lows when I'm not acting "right"

I tried to edit my typos but the edit wold not take ;+( I meant in the I meant "first 15-to -20 years after diagnosis". Not 15020 I am not that ancient. I also meant "diabetic uninitiated" and " southern grandaughter modesty" I did not get all the errors, I am just not a good typist, had to teach myself; though I did nave one typing course for one sememster waaaaaaay back in the day , may be high school? I hope this works to make my post more readable.

People are self-absorbed. When you realize that, you can be less bothered by a lot of things, including giving a shot, testing blood sugar, or otherwise.

I have diabetes since only one year ago but I had never felt embarrassed about it. I even feel different and unique cause I can explain what I deeply know. At their eyes I´m sick, so I really love their expression when they realized I know my body better than they know their own and how strong I am for taking care of myself.

I haven't been to a "d-get together" since I was a kid. I should look into that!

I do not get embarassed from the lows. My friends and family note that my sinking down and rising up from "very Low"lows are sometimes hilarious. I am emotional: sad, silly, sarcastic, angry, sometimes all at once. My mouth has no reigns on it. I will not relate what I said or did, but I have experienced paramedics wiping tears from their eyes after I was revived, tears of laughter. I have a viable explanation, not an excuse: " My brain was not working!" :+)

God bless,
Brunetta

; )

Okay, so I'm a T2 and didn't develop it until I was in my 30's, went on insulin at the age of 42...so admittedly, I didn't have to deal with all the crap people can give you when I was a child. So as an insulin-dependent diabetic, I've never been embarrassed at having diabetes. I have, however, been extremely RESENTFUL toward people who think I SHOULD be embarrassed about taking care of myself.

An aunt of mine, whom I loved dearly and was like a second mom to me, always had a fit if I tested or injected in front of her. At her house, I always had to "hide" in the bathroom to test or take insulin. I tried to talk to her about it, but she was adamant. She was even with me one time at a restaurant when I gave myself the shot in the bathroom but then our meal got delayed and I nearly passed out...she STILL didn't get it! So the rule became..."at your house I'll play by your rules, but don't you DARE tell me what to do when I'm not in your house." And one of my cousins supported her in this and used to make "eeew" sounds when I had to test or when I used to have to inject. He's backed off since his mother died...not sure if he's more comfortable with me taking care of D in public, but at least he's not cringing any more. I will never forget how very unsupportive all that felt to me.

Usually if strangers ask anything about D, I try to be gracious and educate them. And of course I've had a few instances of less-than-ideal responses to diabetes. But I don't feel embarrassed...rather, I think THEY should be embarrassed at their ignorance!

Ruth

That's pretty mean now in all fairness. My father, when he was alive, couldn't bear to see me taking injections. It was because he thought they hurt. I kept telling him it didn't. He somehow felt responsible for my D because it ran in his family. I felt sorry for him feeling sorry for me.