Argh! Mild arthrosis of the acromioclavicular joint or frozen shoulder

My mother has Hashimoto’s disease and fibromyalgia. Thankfully she doesn’t yet have Frozen Shoulder. My dad got it last year though. He is diabetic and there is definitely some connection between diabetes and frozen shoulder. I read here that it’s caused by an injury or trauma to the shoulder in conjunction with an underlying condition like an autoimmune disorder or diabetes.

What do you all think?

You’re right that the longer you put it off, the more difficult it is to fix. Also, the longer you wait for treatment, the lower the chance that you’ll regain full mobility. My dad will never get full mobility in his shoulder back.

1 Like

I started off with Graves Disease and, over time and with treatment, that went into remission. However, I eventually became hypothyroid.

With frozen shoulder all that I’ve read pretty much says that having diabetes increases your chances of coming down with this condition. Men get it for sure. I know someone with type 1 like me who has it.

All I can do now is keep up with PT to get as much movement as I can back, and stick with keeping myself active now that I’m back at it.

1 Like

Last year I had a lot of back problems and shoulder problems. I had similar symptoms. I was working out a lot. I saw a chiropractor and she is a licensed acupuncturist as well. I saw her twice a week and the work really helped!
I would get frozen neck and shoulders. One thing that doesn’t help, if you sleep under a fan/vent. The cool air can chill the muscles and makes them prone to “freeze” up in the morning. One time I had it for a week. It took a couple of visits to let up.
Didn’t know it was common among diabetics though.

Busybee

T1 I’ve had frozen shoulder in the right shoulder for which I did seven weeks of painful PT as the therapist stretched, then broke adhesions. For the subsequent bout of FS in the left shoulder I did not do PT - just did the stretching and was able to sleep comfortably hanging my arm off the bed. Both shoulders healed in about the same length of time with normal strength returning after a few months. The next time I think I might try fascial massage. Oh and I’ve also had trigger finger episodes - all this stuff is related - tigger finger is similar to FA in pain and duration. Biggest problem is loss of sleep due to pain and range of motion limitations for a few months. I don’t think it’s a big deal overall if it’s a transient condition - just treat the pain and keep moving.

1 Like

Update: I was discharged a few weeks ago from PT and laid off around the same time. :slight_smile: (Don’t fret; I was pretty happy about being laid off as I was really starting to hate my job.)

It’s been about three months, and I’m going to admit that I’m not as active as I should be. I do stretch my shoulder out in the shower and at times when I’m sitting or standing. But I have felt a few twinges of pain, so that’s a very clear hint from my body that I need to kick up the activity. (And I will. My new job starts soon and it’s across from one of the locations of my gym: no excuse.)

Regina, I really strongly recommend some kind of pulley machine, either at a gym or something you can rig up at home. I built mine out of home depot parts!

The last time I wrote in this thread, my second shoulder was “mostly recovered”. Since then I’ve recovered full range of motion in my second shoulder but still have occasional twinges of soreness.

1 Like

I have a pulley that goes over the door. :slight_smile:

I have a question for anyone who has had frozen shoulder. I have in both. Do you use the pump,on your arms?
I’ve did a mild research study on myself. I just had my left shoulder surgery to in freeze it. I was wearing my pump on my right arm for almost 2 months and decided to try my left. My shoulder hurts more with the pump on it. Any one have the same?

I didn’t attach the pump on my arms and still had a frozen right shoulder for awhile.