Arthritis related to Diabetes?

I certainly would be the last person to discourage someone from a regimen that’s working for them. But assuming I had NAFLD, I would need a lot more evidence to convince me that I should try the same.

First, these are fairly significant dietary changes. How would I know that the things you are NOT eating aren’t responsible for the improvement? I suspect that sugars and some carbs are getting reduced in the process?

Call me a skeptic, but I don’t believe everything doctors tell me! That’s not a cheap shot at doctors. Many, if not most, are hard-working professionals with the patient’s best interests at heart. But my experience is that you can find a doctor who will tell you almost anything and without evidence. YouTube — I rest my case!

For example, you say that lemon has a cleansing effect. What is the basis for that? Has there ever been a peer-reviewed study to support that? Or even non-peer reviewed? Is there any chemical/biological basis to support these assertions?

Anecdotal evidence is interesting, but not always helpful. The history of medicine is littered with cures that thousands of people swore by, but were later found to be of no value. The plural of anecdote is not data.

I am so sorry about your lovely black lab. I lost my black lab to cancer a year ago at age 13. She was so sweet and smart. Our lives are too busy right now to take in a new lab, but soon…

Please consider swimming or a water arthritis class (I have been teaching for 27 years). It is gentle on your joints.

This is also going to sound weird, but consider getting screened for celiac disease. It affects 1 out of 133, but only 20% are actually diagnosed, leaving some 80% walking around ill. It is definitely genetic. It can impact your liver and gallbladder. It can impact you systemically. You do not need to have classic GI celiac symptoms. It is also strongly related to TD1.

Had I known, I might still have my gallbladder (Dx: non-functioning).

Consider researching this about possible causes of a fatty liver.

Sure makes for an interesting read. :blush:

I am not sure that we are going to have any peer reviewed studies on lemons in the near future.

You have me wondering why you are convinced by peer reviewed studies and data produced by doctors if you don’t think doctors themselves are credible.

I would like to know if you have experience with liver tumors, or NAFLD liver resections yourself or if you have a well functioning liver and are just reaching nutritional conclusions that for you would be a form of conjecture.

We only have one liver and if it is not healthy the physical results are very painful. Feeling such pain one is driven to relieve it while at the same time protecting it from further damage. It is not like I am way out of left field in suggesting that nutritional items that are commonly used prove beneficial.

As far as You Tube goes if you know how to do research on it there are many credible sources to study. Most of the major universities have channels and there are many channels that originate outside of the US. There is also a lot to say about old wives tales that seem to cure or help many long standing diseases.

I agree with you on the elimination of carbs but I was already doing that being a Type 1 diabetic for
30 years and using carb control for that.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Hippocrates

I agree with you that there is some good, credible advice on YouTube — I use it frequently! My point was simply that SOME doctors post on YouTube with assertions, but little or no evidence. Your statement is incorrect that I don’t think doctors are credible. There are some that make unfounded statements, but that’s not a condemnation of all doctors.

I’m more likely to trust researchers who provide a basis for their assertions. Even then, I try to evaluate what they say for myself.

Whether I have NAFLD or a well-functioning liver or am in pain is irrelevant to whether I can evaluate claims on the subject. I’m not an endocrinologist, but I can evaluate claims about diabetes and come to useful conclusions, at least for myself.

I am NOT reaching any conclusions about lemons or other foods. I’m simply asking what the evidence is and how you came to the belief that they are helpful.

Um…Okay. The evidence for me is that when I ate these foods I got better. How do you know that I am not an empirical type guy like you as well? I say when you are in enough pain to want to jump out the window and a lemon helps believe me, you will probably eat the lemon :slight_smile:

-As published by Dutch researchers in a 2002 edition of the European Journal of Nutrition, lemon peels and the waste stream of the lemon peels are effective in lowering blood and liver cholesterol levels. Although performed on animal subjects, these results insinuate that lemon peel consumption could be beneficial to those with fatty liver disease.

-As published by Indian researchers in a 2005 edition of BMC Pharmacology, hesperidin (a citrus bioflavonoid found in lemons) demonstrates the ability to protect the liver from damage. After administration of CCl4 (a well known liver toxin), the authors concluded that hesperidin demonstrates a protective effect on the liver.