Artificial Pancreas is going live

Do you enter the number of carbs when you eat something, or does it just wait until your blood glucose starts to spike, and then it gives you insulin?

No input of carbs.

Do you know whether Lyumjev is faster or slower than FIASP in actual use?

I do not know.

Itā€™s supposed to be faster than fiasp, but honestly, thatā€™s going to be hard to judge given the mixed reaction to fiasp.

So two separate hormones, with two separate mechanisms and two separate delivery paths from reservoirs to tubing to insets, doubling the available failure points that you get with a standard pump, and itā€™s totally hands-off, meaning Trust The Algorithm is your only recourse? Color me skeptical. To me it seems like ā€œall the aggravations of the 670G times two.ā€ Everyone has to make their own aggravation-vs-benefit calculation, and I guess if I had a really rough time with unpredictable hypos as some people do Iā€™d be more sanguine, but for most of us itā€™s pretty impressive what you can do with a CGM and some attention to what itā€™s telling you. Not but what a decent hybrid system can be a help, and by that I donā€™t mean the 670, though Tandem seems to be getting closer to that mark. But this thing just seems like somebody should have noticed at some point that they were maybe jumping the shark. As someone who grew up on the crap insulins of 80s-90s, where The Killer Hypo From Nowhere was a constant anxiety, maybe iā€™m minimizing the problem but that just seems far less a problem nowadays than it was back when. Not that it canā€™t happen, but the level of angst I feel about it compared to what it used to be like is not in the same ballpark. Not to mention this thing practically needs its own backpack.

3 Likes

I have had easy access to Lyumjev. But to no real avail. First it does not function in a Tandem pump. Second it is not that fast by injection. It is as big a disappointment as Fiasp was.

I was expecting mixed results, just like we saw with FIASP, but youā€™re the first Iā€™ve seen say that Lyumjev didnā€™t work quickly for you. So far the most common complaint Iā€™ve read is that thereā€™s a lot of pain/burning/irritation at the injection/infusion site. Did you notice any of that?

Iā€™d also like to hear why you say if canā€™t function in a Tandem pump. Did you just not try it in the pump, because Tandem says only Novalog and Humalog can be used? Because thatā€™s not exactly true, they just canā€™t say you can use anything else because only Humalog and Novolog were used in the clinical trials. Or did you actually try it and get occlusions? I only know of 2 or 3 other Tandem users to try Lyumjev in their X2, but havenā€™t seen any of them report the occlusions that are often seen in that pump with FIASP or Apidra.

In case this comes across wrong, Iā€™m not disputing anything youā€™ve said, Iā€™m just really interested in your experience because it sounds different.

1 Like

OK and thanks for responding.

Hello Robyn,

I personally am not a fan of the Tandem X2 pump. My A1c shot way up, from 5.8 to 7.3. Some of that may be settings my endo has put in. She has a notion I need to be running higher because I have had type 1 for 51 going on 52 years. My husband died and I am now living alone. Iā€™ve not had any problems.

The last 50 units in the Tandem degrade and do nothing. I constantly have to change and throw away insulin. I only put in 200 units to begin with and throw away 50 now.

I absolutely do not find that either Fiasp or Lyumjev worked well in the Tandem. Iā€™ve read elsewhere where one person wrote it worked for her and didnā€™t seem to degrade on the last 50. My endo thinks only the last 20 degrade but mine begins to fail to work as soon as it hits 50.

I also found Lyumjev is not overly fast to begin with.

Do you use a Dexcom? I have been using Libre and have liked it for several years as I got used to it in Europe. I am about to switch to Dexcom though.

I live in Nashville.

Jean

1 Like

I personally have had no issues with FiASP in my X2. Sometimes it does seem like the last 50 units donā€™t work as well, but other times they do, so I am not sure it is specifically related to anything to do with the pump and insulin combo.

My point about this thing though is that subcutaneous insulin injection currently is not fast enough to match the rise in glucose from food, or especially liquid. The only thing they could do would be like what has been said before: Massively over bolus and then stabilize with the glucose, which is just not a good plan. Not to mention what happens if the glucose site fails.

On top of that, the amount of sites it requires is an automatic no go for me. I have such bad skin irritation that I already can barely manage one CGM and one infusion site.

I am fortunate in that I have a large stash of several kinds of insulin, due to a couple of errors at the pharmacy. So I have access to Novolog, Humalog, and FIASP. I have been using them in kind of a rotation, since my endo asked me to keep him informed of the differences I encounter.

I switched from the Tandem t:flex to the t:slim in November 2019. In the t:flex, I had occlusions using FIASP 100% of the time right at 3 days. I started loading only 300U into the t:flex and no more occlusions. With the t:slim, I have had no occlusions using FIASP, but a full cartridge only lasts me 2-3/4 days. I have been getting really good results from FIASP, but used up the last of it. My endo gave me 3 vials of Lyumjev to try out, so Iā€™ll load that up today (Saturday, 10/24/20) and see what happens.

As a by the way, I just started using Tandemā€™s Control IQ right after I ran my Tandem/DexCom reports three months ago. At my endo visit this past week, he told me that my A1c was down 0.3 this time, the first time it had gone down in maybe 5 years of being pretty well in control. So, for me at least, Control IQ has been good.

2 Likes