At The Beach

Yep, if I was actually able to stand on a board for a couple of seconds it would be amazing! Not really sure my balance is up to it though, i might just keep falling off… :slight_smile:

I have pretty good balance and work out all the time and it is freaking hard!! I am sure I could do it if I can quit my job and live in a house by the beach though.

The Animas Rep told me to just go out and swim with My pump on. Should I not do that?? Does it matter if it is salt water or not?

I get my tankinis on Lands End website. I disconnect for the water, obviously, and use the cap to protect the site from sand, etc. I bring along a lunch cooler, and ice packs, and put my pump in a zip-lock bag and then in the cooler when I am not attached. I have liberty while swimming, as it drops my BG like a rock, and just dry mostly off (I have worn my MM attached to a wet (not soaking) bathing suit without issues), and then reconnect. I also bring extra sites, etc and spare insulin the cooler. I tend to use an IV3000 on the site prior to going to the beach to help with adhesion. While sunbathing, I just cover my pump with a small towel like a hand towel or washcloth so it is not in the direct sun so the insulin stays good.

What is a tankini?

In the ocean - I would not take a chance on loosing your pump - unless you can guarantee it can stay clipped or you wear it in an aquapack/pump pack etc. - you don’t want to be diving for it on the ocean floor! Just my opinion.

LOL!! Very good point! I’m a good swimmer, but not that good! :slight_smile:

That would be my concern!

And a VERY Valid concern at that! I’m going to have to re think a lot of things with a pump.

When I go canoeing with my campers in the summer we use saran wrap cling over our pumps. I wrap it really well & stuff it in my sports bra/bikini. On the plus side, the saran wrap makes your pump float! You can even do a test run in the sink :slight_smile:

It’s a two piece bathing suit but covers the midriff (for us not able to wear a biking ::roll eyes::), unlike a bikini. Kind of like a tank top and swimming shorts.

omg me too the Land End , the cooler for my pump, and towel when connected, too funny.

Takini’s at Target today.

Do they have Bears ones? I was just at the Bolingbrook Jewel getting laying in some last minute provisions…

laughing

If you’re concerned about people seeing the site, put in on your hip/bottom where your bikini bottom will cover it. Take a small cooler or frio pack with you to store your pump in while you swim so it’s not baking in the sun. Pack lots of snacks, juice, candy (I like skittles) etc to cover your lows. A cute little sun dress with pockets or a sarong you can clip you pump onto when you’re out of the water will help conceal. Clip it so the pump is against your body not hanging off, it stay’s more secure and no one will see it.

As for getting low while you’re in the water, check before you go out and eat some carbs if you know you are going to be pushing yourself physically.

Try longboarding first. Much easier to get up, balance and stay up than a carving board.

I spent a week at St. Augustine Beach in Florida while on my Cozmore pump and all i did was check my BG, bolus and hour’s worth of basal, disconnect, swam, played, etc for about an hour. Got out checked again, if I needed insulin I connected the pump and pumped what I needed plus an hour’s worth of basal, disconnected and got back in. Sometimes I ran it a couple of hours but with the exercise I didn’t really need some of the basal/entered via bolus.

Now that I am on the Omnipod I will have to rethink a bit. I think I will just try swimming with a pod on and see what happens.

I’m an old guy and not interested in the appearance much but I would suggest if you are put the infusion site somewhere under you bathing suit so it will be hidden.

Omnipod. Wear the pod on your buttock under your suit and no one knows. Its waterproof and comfy.

We have spent countless hours at the beach, pool, lake and water parks. My son disconnects while going in the water. When we were swimming with dolphins and snorkeling, I make him take a container of the glucose liquid (15 carbs) in case he went low. His site usually falls off so I use skin tac and tegaderm with a cut out and this seems to hold it in place well.
Be sure to take twice the supplies you think you need.
You would be surprised at how many people are wearing insulin pumps at disney, the beach… etc… I think you will be in good company.
Enjoy the beach. Nancy