At what number do you correct?

So odd, if my bgs is 150, I will immediately correct, but if it is 149, I will usually leave my bgs alone. Of course it all depends on what I ate last and what type of movement I will be doing, but to correct a 150 and leave a 149 alone, is making me laugh.

At what number do you do a correction bolus?

Like you around 150

I am in my honeymoon and still have a second phase so I usually don’t correct at all but I expect that is going to change. The other day I was up at 160 for 3 hours after a fairly low carb meal and yesterday I was at 120 for several hours. I think that’s partly because I am also sick and my BG is crazy high and then low for no apparent reason. I tried correcting once when I was over 150 and ended up at 50 in another hour. I love having some insulin of my own but the unpredictability does make life more difficult in some ways.

Perhaps a better question is WHEN do you correct, and at what reading.

Dr. Bernstein makes a huge point that you shouldn’t correct until the insulin has stopped working. For Novolog that’s 3 hours, for R 4-5.

I’ve found this to be good advice, because when I have corrected at 2 hours I’ve caused lows.

So mostly I don’t correct until the insulin is done and mostly when it is done I’m under 140. if iI am over 140 at 3 hours I will correct.

Jenny I just have to say this and it might make you mad if so sorry. But as for this Dr. Bernstien I know what works for me after 35 years of dealing with this on a daily basis and he knows what works for him so I’d just as soon leave it that way! I’m not you, you’re not him, infact no 2 diabetics like no 2 ppl are alike! Just my 2 cents worth! Books have never really helped me or my Dr of 23 years take care of ME! He had always told me to read up on the info and see what works for me and that’s the way I do it.

Doris,

The post asked us to say when we corrected. I posted when I corrected and what my thinking was.

I don’t know why you are taking what I wrote as if it was saying everyone should do what I do. That isn’t what I wrote and it isn’t what I think.

I cited Dr. Bernstein’s advice because it has been very helpful to me. A lot of us haven’t had diabetes for 23 years and when we start to use insulin our doctors give us very little information. The doctor who originally prescribed insulin for me not only gave me a starting dose so high it would have sent me to the ER had I NOT read Bernstein’s book and started out at a much lower dose, but he also didn’t recognize the symptoms of hypo when I phoned in with them.

So for a lot of us, books and other people with diabetes are ALL we have to turn to when we are looking for information.

I will usually add a correction bolus if my BG is over 140 an hour after having food. The hard part is feeling really hungry and having a higher BG.

Jenny,
I haven’t had it for 23 years it’s been more like 35 and still counting! I have a Type 1 daughter also and I do belive in reading to understand more about diabetes, but I have to tell you this that when I took it in 73 we had to learn alot on our own! I was lucky that I did have a Type 1 cousin 15 years older than me to help me learn but we were about 30 miles apart and there was such a thing as long distance back then so I didn’t get that much help from her! All I’m trying to say to you and others who don’t have this experance as long or have children who got Type 1 from your genes ( I have a 19 year old that took d at 11 and I took d at 10) is that everybody’s different and some ppl can do this or that and some can’t! For me a HIGH is around 500 for my daughter she went into DKA at 350! Different strokes for different folks! It will take me 5 days at over 500 to fall into DKA and for her it was 1 day at 350. That’s all sorry if you thought anything else!

I am also a 150 kind of girl. The only time I wont correct at 150 is if I have a good amount of insulin on board and I know the IOB isnt there to take care of a spike I am expecting from a slice of pizza. And I also do the weird, no correction at 149. No idea why.

maybe its the same marketing gimick that works in all retail stores.

Cmon, we know $9.99 is so much cheaper than $10, but for some reason I’d be more willing to buy the 9.99 object.
Why should diabetes escape regular human psychology lol?

Hi Karen,
Suppose you tested your blood sugar and it was 150 and you did a correction. Now suppose you tested again right away and it was lower or higher. What would you do? I think we forget sometimes that the meters are not all that precise and there is some variability in the readings which is acceptable.
I attended a conference of Atheletes with Diabetes one time and I remember hearing in one of the talks that it’s more important to know what direction your blood sugar is going (up or down) rather than what it is right now. It is something to think about when making corrections.

Good point. For me it also depends on how much higher I am than I would expect to be at that time of day. I might correct as low as 7 (~125) depending on the circumstances, but I would almost certainly correct at 8 (~155).

It depends on time of day and activity level. If it’s afternoon and I’m about to set off on a long walk and my blood sugar is 220, I don’t correct it. But if it’s bedtime and I’ve been highish throughout the day and my blood sugar is 130, I’ll correct that. In general, I start correcting at 140 during the night and at breakfast, and around 180 the rest of the day.
I try not to test my blood sugar less than 3 hours after injecting for meals. I will correct highs starting 2 and a half hours after the previous injection.

Oops. That should have read “… at 8 (~145)”