At whits end...again

The last few days have been much better. Basically no highs! For me that is the key. I am not sure why I am so sensitive to even slightly elvated sugar but I've documented it enough to know that I am. Basically when I am in that state I become very irritable, angry and thoughts of suicide enter my mind. When I say high I am talking I must be 95 or lower three hours post meal. Ideal is about 85. You know us veteran/older diabetics need to be considered top priority for any transplantation over anyone younger IMO. We have suffered the longest and have far less life left then people in their teens and 20's. I will fight if I have to to get involved with what potential treatment option goes into human studies. Though I may not be around to experience relief I am extremely grateful for every human being and company on this planet tryig to offer a solution for this madness. That is a pretty intense story patientX but interesting the one thing about diabetes I never dwelled on was the complications. Once I had the disease over 25 years I figured my odds were pretty good to avoid them especially with the control I had way back then which was horrible. I'm I safe now... absolutely not but its still the sugar swings that are doing me in but good.

I ate just eggs and cheese one morning... no carbs in either... and it went up 30 points all by its lonesome, without any insulin on board...

I would really listen hard to what patient X is saying, sounds like he has been there.

Well, actually, eggs have 1 carb each & most cheese is 1 carb per one ounce. Certainly not much at all, but there were a few.

what will you do next time you get high readings then? Because its going to happen again. Your rollercoaster of emotions based on your meter is dominating your life. Enjoy your time on earth while your here!

Wow, excellent story. I think we've all been there to some degree, even if we haven't realized it or been there to that extreme degree. You get to a point where you feel like D controls your life and every decision you make. You have to CHOOSE not to let it do that.

There are definitely days I don't feel well, days when I'm anxious about my blood sugar because I know I'm swinging up and down, days when I worry like crazy what a particularly stubborn high is going to do to my eyes, legs, nerves, etc. But I work hard to push those thoughts out of my mind and continue on with life. There's too much good stuff out there to see and do, and so long as I'm physically able to do it, I'm going to!

Thank you for sharing your story. I am still trying to push myself to go back to the gym or do SOMETHING out there in the world for exercise that is consistent and incrementally more every day (even just :30 more seconds than the day before.)

I'm still terrified to leave the apartment most days, but I really do want to get stronger, more fit, able to DO things again.

You have totally inspired me. For that (if you don't mind?) here is a great big old cyber (((hug))).

This might be a whole new thread, but If you tell your insurance company that you have type 1 diabetes, No one will cover you. I tried this about 15 years ago and was immediately dismissed. That is in the US, by the way. Since then I just don't tell anyone those details. Don't get me started on health insurance, You can not lie to them. :( If you get into an accident due to diabetes or if you are admitted to an emergency room due to low blood sugar, they are required to report you to the state to have your driving license reviewed for possible suspension or termination.
There is nothing to do but lie by omission when it comes to all insurance.

Thanks for the hug. Try small steps. The first time I returned back on my bike I barely covered one mile. This is before the funky panic attacks. I physically could barely cover one mile. So I went back from my favorite trail and would just ride circles around the block or up and down the street. Try small amounts of time to get moving. If that does not work the wii is a great tool to move a little. After playing punch out for 20 minutes I can move my bgs about 30 to 50 points. Every little effort counts.