Average Readings or Individual Blood Sugar Level Readings

My wife has been telling me that if I dont eat enough carbs my blood sugar could go up aswell. I have heard of this but can it go both ways like that?

All the high numbers count because anything over 140 can begin to damage your organs. Doctors used to think the fasting numbers were the only ones that mattered but nowadays they realise that high numbers after eating can be just as harmful. Yes, everybody get higher BS after eating but non-diabetics rarely go over 120 and if they go up higher than that it’s just for a short time. Long periods of time (2 hours or more) at high BG levels cause the damage. Sounds like the lower carb eating helped since 122 is not bad at all. Your wife is misinformed about needing to eat carbs. For Type 2s, BS is pretty much directly related to how many carbs you eat. Even your fasting level is related to how many carbs you ate the night before. The great thing about being Type 2 is that you have a chance to turn this around and your best bet is to cut back on carbs. Sounds like exercise helps too. Hang in there!

Well the 122 is 6 hours after I ate. So going by my other numbers, it was prolly around 200.

I dont want to end up like my mom, she can hardly walk and has no feeling in either one of her hands. She is a waitress and struggles everyday.

If you are really up at 200 after a salad, you might want to consider some different medication. Or you could keep trying with the low carb diet and exercise, give it maybe 2 weeks to let your body get readjusted and then decide what to do next.

From what I’ve read big highs and lows are not good. Even if the average is ok

David, I am really concerned about you. You really need a good doctor and it needs to be someone who will watch over you carefully,. You are not getting the care you need. Please check your blood sugar at least four times each day. When you get up in the morning, before lunch, before dinner and before bedtime. And any time you don’t feel well. Also having a high blood sugar at night can make you lose sleep and have an awful night. When or if you get up at night for any reason, try checking your blood sugar then as well. Please start keeping a log and write all of it down,. The doctor can look at it and you can prove that you need different medication. The metformin can also cause you to forget things. Having blood sugars that are too high also makes you want to eat and drink all the time You have the right to demand good care and you are not getting it. Please see someone else as soon as you can.
Saundra

Tell my endo and my insurance this. My averages looks good so my diabetes is supposed to be controlled.

Show them your detailed results.The average alone isn’t of much use. Then of course, you could play maths with them and show them the mode and the mean and the range and ask which one is the one they want. Plot your results out on a graph and take it to your next visit. In the meantime, try low carb.

I plan on doing this at my next doctor appointment so that the doctor can see my sugar levels and also what I am eating.

A lot of graphs look impressive and show very quickly, what a variation you have, especially if you put in a line at your target level.

Hey everyone…well I have a long story,I will try to keep it short,almost died back in 1990…viral pnuemonia…I survived,I was on insulin in hospital…800,I probably should be dead. I told them take me off this insulin its making me sick,I cant see and I was 90 lbs and unable to stand. They did,I recovered. Its been years,freshly diagnosed again about 5 years ago. I have only taken control of the diabetes as of that last 2 months. Numbers in the mornings high 180’s then it drops in the day…somtimes as low as 86 and or 90…I am 136 lbs… I am eating right now and must get my life back. I take glyaburide metformin in the morning along with actos…and glyaburide/metphormin at night. I am only eating to live now…mainly protiens,only water, no diet soda.s and watching the carbs big time. My A1C was 7.5 so I must recover from this…I dont want to do insulin,not now and I am so not ready for this. I remember eating pizza, checked my sugar two hours later it was 690…I exercised for 1/2 hour then it dropped to 191. It tends to be high in the morning then afternoon it drops…but only because I am eating meats and drinking water alone. I will say I usually thirst often…but here lately nothing…doing real well and not thirsty…I have 5 months before my A1C is to be checked again…my dad died with this diabetes…both brothers have it too…needless to say I loathe it but must take control…I am so looking for the good foods to eat…

Sherri

Sherri,
Are you sure you are Type 2? With BG readings like this, and your low weight, you sound like Type 1. If you are Type 1 you must take insulin. Why do you not want to take it? If your body is not making insulin, or not making enough, then you need it to live. Even protein will be converted to blood glucose in your body. What does your doctor say?

Hey thank you for the reply…ya my doctor is one out of 5 top family physicians here in Missouri and he is real good with the diabetes as well, but…if my numbers are not down the next 6 months he will put me on insulin because this is the first time it has been 7.5 at least to my knowledge…its always been in the 6. The problem there is he is a very nice guy easy going and works with me but is telling me the inevtibable is coming. I guess I am scared…I cant tell you how many horrible spells I have had,once driving…that last one last Friday and to be honest with I dont know how I made it…doesnt matter how much food you cram down in a spell, you just still go through it. You know somethingelse? I am afraid of the inusulin…if your body starts depending on that,its also starts shutting down sooner…because its not natural…really…I am only going by my fathers path. I am also on Hyzarr blood pressure meds and as of recent a very low dose of Wellbutrin for some depression I have been rooted in for a time. 13 years in dry from alcohol, fell off the wagon for 1 1/2 year, now almost 3 months dry again,in this he is treating me and I told him I was drinking. Although I think he knew this from the blood test. I am so ashamed to admit all of this but reading other stories here it has encouraged me to come out a little…Also as of recent I just quite buspar…I didnt check my sugar today or the last two days…gives me anxiety and blood pressure spells just from seeing the numbers. I go back to my doctor 4 weeks for the wellbutrin check…this medicine is for the other side of the brain recepter not like the prozac drug or paxil…ya I am just really scared and struggling to make the right decisions with this diabetes…still indenial some after seeing dad tortured from it…

Sherri

sherri,
if you are type 1 and not type 2, you need insulin to LIVE! plain and simple.

Hey thanks on this…you mean you can be both? I started checking my sugar again this morning…its been a week since I have had a good reading but it was 135 for me thats probably good but as a diabetic not down to what it should be. I will be marking the readings then attend doctor to see what he wants to do. My body seems to take awhile to re-adjust to sugar levels when I start eating right. I will do what he sais as I must. Hey…I am horrible with knowing good foods outside of learning what I have already…where is this lentil? is it soup? I have made homemade soup is that to starchy and or sweet? I do use two v8 big cans lots of water and just about every kind of vegetable but no pasta or noodles…and what about navy beans and ham cooked, and or pinto beans…is there alot of carbs in these kinds of foods? I am looking around on line to find out. I am just burned out on salads,I love peanut butter and apples but wow that will spike my sugar. Now if I was to take insulin…does this mean I have to eat the same…or maybe have the peanut butter and apples from time to time…I realized I have to station my diet properly but man…even the sugar free foods alarm your sugar readings…

Sherri

sherri,
you should check out Calorie King. they have a carb listing for every food. i remember when i was first diagnosed that i was basically told to have 35 carbs for meals and 15 carbs for snacks. it’s a good start to go with until you have your appt.

I’m not a doctor, but it sound like the depression is taking over. It’s understandable that your father’s experience is frightening, but depression can make physical symptoms worse. It might be worth your trying Dr. Bernstein’s low carb diet. Do a day at a time. Each day’s success will have you feeling better about yourself and the mountains will gradually shrink

I have a little book about 3 x4 x2 inches which has masses of nutritional tables in and an excellent kitchen scale. It helps.

Hey everyone…well I have been watching my foods like crazy…just eating a little bit every two hours…yesterday morning sugar was 135…at night it was 115…today woke up and it was 117 then after an hour eating oatmeal…143 then about two hours later…had a small very small pack of trail mix as I had no lunch,and some green beans and ham from Schnucks…tested my sugars about an hour later…92…now I still have to eat supper and I dont eat but just a small amount of food after 6:00 pm, thats only if I feel the need…as I try not to eat after that but sometimes I am up late…so I am watching the carbs…sugar and everything. I originally was about 144 lbs two months ago…I have been 155 before, but since I have been watching my eating habits for over 3 weeks ago I am shedding pounds quickly. I wont drop under 130 as I would look freakish…but hoping this helps the diabetes… I think its taking time for my body to re-adjust and it is working…( sigh ) so far that is…

Sherri

Sounds like it’s all going well. Congratulations!