Aviva combo?

I am going to be starting with my new Aviva combo on February 15. Does anyone have any suggestions to help make the transition a little smoother?
MTIA
Rachel

Rachel,

I can only advise the obvious.

• Have patience
  • Setting up the basal rate(s) is critical
  • Follow the initial instructions closely, but don’t obsess. There were a few instructions on the Spirit pump, that were a bit anal. I dropped them.
  • Lots and lots of testing. I still do a 3AM check on a fairly regular basis (hey! I’m usually awake, so why not?)
  • Maintain a positive attitude. You will be going through a big learning curve at first. Reservoirs, tubing, what infusion set is best, placing/changing sets, alarms, Extended and Multiwave Bolusing, Temporary Basal Rates, etc, etc. It may seem pretty overwhelming at first, but soon you will get the hang of it and it will seem like second nature.

It is a bit like driving a car. The first days behind the wheel of the massive beast were tough. How much do I press on the gas pedal; when do I brake; how do I stay in the lane; park; shift; adjust the mirrors and seat; what’s in my blind spot, etc.? After a while it’s pretty routine.

Once you get over your first days and get your basal rates down, you will suddenly be a different person, not really, but it will seem that way. At least it did for me.

I know you will do a great job,
Mike

I probably should have mentioned that I did look for a group that was about the Roche Aviva combo, but this one was the closest that I could find… :0)
Thanks for the words of wisdom! I am probably going to need them! LOL

Rachel,
I have an accu chek combo for the last year and love it. You will get used to it very quickly. Follow the guidelines from your diabetes nurse. Let me know if you have any questions. I don’t know anyone else with this pump but I find it amazing.
Colette

I only wish the FDA would get its head out of its backside and offer the Aviva Combo (with BT and the meter/pdm/carb calc integration) in the US…

You are missing something. The pump is great… I tried several pumps (for few weeks) and this one (or rather at that time spirit) was best of them. I used spirit for about year before because Combo was not yet available.

Hi Rachel,

When I started on the Combo, my endo gave me the pump (without the remote) for the first month, and told me to get used to using the functions on the pump first. Then more training and onto the meter remote, which, when used in conjunction with software, provides your endo with all the graphs and charts, log book etc.

I find the pump very user friendly, and I think you will really enjoy it. Before starting, I read the user manuals to at least get a handle on what to expect, but honestly it is pretty straightforward, and I found a routine within a few days.

I wish you the best of luck with it, and I can help in anyway please don’t hesitate to ask.

jason

Thanks guys!
It is a whole lot easier knowing that there are others out there who already have ‘been there, done that’. Doesn’t happen often for me, as I am the oldest diabetic in my very small group of ‘affecteds’ (read 4, including me). This is becoming a place for me to go to when I need to start researching something, or just want an answer.
Thanks again!
R

Tomorrow is the big day! Woohoo! I have read all of the paperwork that came in the box, made sticky ‘notes’ on the pages I had a question about and tonight set up the basal rates provided by my health care team. Not sure if I’m going to be able to sleep tonight :wink:

Im curious what additional features (other than the remote/bg meter/carb calculator/BT) are in the new Combo pump? Was hoping for a few more basal profiles or something like that… it be icing on the cake.

I’m not sure how many profiles you saw in the past, but there are 5 on here now. Not sure what a ‘BT’ is though, sorry :slight_smile:
There are also several ways to administer the insulin, standard, multiwave and extended, not sure if that was there before or not. any other questions I’d be happy to answer if I can!