Awful customer support: 670g frustration

I don’t really want to get too specific about what happened to me. It was a reaction that was bad enough that I went to urgent care and was immediately taken off of the medication. I’m glad it’s working for you. It probably works for most who take it.

You were part of the Customer Training Phase. Everyone who has been on it until very recently was a part of that training program. A program, where if you read it, is for improving training for Customers and Medtronic. https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/blog/minimed-670g-system-customer-training-phase/
“This phase will allow us to validate our training and on-boarding program to ensure that it is not only robust, but that we have created the best patient experience. We will conduct the training phase and fine-tune our on-boarding program over the course of a few months before we initiate a full commercial launch.”

I am also on the 670G as part of the Customer Training Phase Pre-Launch group. I have had multiple questions including the one you had about sensor updating and a failed sensor. I did call in to their support line while part of this pre-release phase and received great support. I was patient with them knowing that I was part of the Customer Training Phase and my input would improve their overall end user customer support. How can you expect a beta release to improve if you do not provide feedback when you’ve agreed to do so as part of this program?

As a result of the program, their customer support should improve. I expect that the more people that use the 670G and call in, the more standardized their responses and recommendations will become.

I have had excellent experiences with their support when I called in. I was able get to the bottom of the problem which I was calling in for and they were able to give me recommendations on tasks which I may have been doing wrong. I thought they treated me well and provided great followup (after having to wait 30 minutes prior to my next calibration because I was calibrating too often). They called me back, I didn’t have to call them.

When I called in a second time about the same problem, they read the notes on my account from the first call and were able to continue support from there. If I hadn’t provided the info on the first call, the second call would have been frustrating.

I did call. I also said that the rep asked me the same question when I had told her that I was pressed for time. Each time I provided the info she asked for. I also asked her to give me an idea of how long the trouble shooting would take, which she didn’t.

Feedback phase or not, there is no reason that rep needed to get defensive and snippy with me.

They shouldn’t need to standardize patience and listening to the customer. That should be built in, and it’s unacceptable that I had to deal with that. I don’t need to cultivate the patience to put up with a low level of service. Figuring out how to best trouble shoot and support people who wear the 670g is understandable.

So here’s my 2 cents. I’m on the 670G right now. I used manual mode for 5 days then had my training Monday. I had a problem with the 2nd sensor so they’re sending a replacement. I’ve been using Medtronic pumps and CGMs for 9 years. IMHO, the 670G is more accurate than the Enlite but since the pump is changing my basal rate, it has to be. But it’s also more sensitive and demanding about when to calibrate. Prior experience says calibrate 3 to 4 times a day. Calibrating too often is as bad as too little. The two most important are first thing in the morning and at night before bed. Never calibrate when you see two or three arrows.

Again, strictly my opinion, but if you’re a pump newbie, a CGM newbie, or a Dexcom devotee, the 670g in Auto mode would be difficult to understand and adjust to. You should work with the 670g in manual mode and get comfortable and settled in first. Plus the 670 would have enough time to learn your body’s insulin’s needs.

1 Like

Since I called Medtronic customer support yesterday I understand the frustration. If you’re calling about the 670 pump or the Guardian sensors, tell the rep that answers that info first because he/she will have to get a 670 person to help troubleshoot. They go down a long list of questions in a certain order and they have to record everything you tell them exactly.

I have to remember that if I get a “calibration not accepted” I have to wait maybe an hour before I try to recalibrate and call before I pull the sensor out. Most likely the rep will tell me to change the sensor and will send a replacement.

I’ve had good luck with the enlites they were pretty accurate for me. I think my problem yesterday was caused by the needle housing sticking in the inserted.

So far the 670 in auto really helps stabilize the constant highs and lows.

Yeah. Now I know the CGM systems are quite different. When and if I go back, and I probably will once I get a new gig and things level out, I’ll run manual mode for a couple of weeks.

I’ll also make sure the CGM tape doesn’t ruin my skin. I’ve got hyperpigmentation on the area of my stomach where that last Medtronic sensor lived. That’s not a good look.

When I called I always told them I was wearing a 670g. :wink:

This is a sign of poor contact center management. It’s all too easy to connect your phone number with your account to properly route the call to the right skilled CSR. And they don’t even have to pay millions to implement on site. This is all very cheap, delivered from the cloud, HIPAA compliant.

Ah well, they’re wasting money and making customers angry. Isn’t that their corporate goal? :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. I was a little frustrated with Medtronic’s lack of tech, but I figured if the 670g worked for me, I’d let it slide. :wink: So much for that.

Hi. I’m sorry you had such a lousy experience. I am brand new to this forum but I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 25 years and I’m currently a pediatric endocrinologist in New York City. I’ve use just about every insulin pump available in the US except the T slim. I also started using the Medtronic 670 G with the guardian sensor. Prior to this I used the Dexcom G5 and the Omnipod. I’m now on auto mde using the 670 G and I can’t believe how tight my blood sugar control is- it’s actually amazing. No postprandial spikes, no dawn phenomenon. Even though I’ve been more than a bit nervous about relinquishing control over my pump, I have to say this has been one heck of an experience. I’m also wearing my Dexcom still to compare accuracy and right now the Guardian has been more accurate compared to finger sticks.
The 670 was approved way earlier than Medtronic thought it would be- in part due to intense lobbying by the participants of the 670 pivotal trials who didn’t want to give up their pumps- so Medtronic was really scrambling to have enough inventory and trainers ready to meet the demand. I think that’s where some of the issues lie.
i’ve learned that if you over calibrate the sensor it may fail. Tempting as it is to calibrate with every blood sugar to make sure that it’s more accurate it actually winds up triggering an error message in the sensor and shutting it down. When you calibrate as often as a sensor tells you to which is really no more than three times a day it works like a charm. At least that has been my experience. All in all I think it’s quite a breakthrough. But I sure do miss the simplicity of my Omnipod I hate tubed pumps!

4 Likes

Yeah. I was warned about over-calibrating, so I only did it when it asked (I think). I rarely over-calibrate with my Dexcom. I used to but not now. I think as Dexcom has been approved by the FDA that you can treat off the readings, I just have more faith in them. Also, when I do calibrate those numbers are so close most of the time. It’s really amazing.

I get that the pump was approved way before they expected. That’s great, but as I’ve got stress in my personal life right now, I simply was not the right candidate to get into the preview run with the 670g. They need folks that can handle them scrambling and making errors. My fuse is short with incompetence right now. Also, I can’t help but compare them to Dexcom.

Both are established companies. Medtronic shouldn’t be making novice errors like getting my address wrong and sending my supplies to an old work address. That’s not specific to the 670g. That’s just incompetence and a low level of service.

Their CS reps should be well trained enough that they know to work better with patients. I used to volunteer for an AIDS organization. My role was support for people with aids. They taught us that we’d get people as they are: happy, sad, relaxed, stressed, nice, mean, etc., and we’d have to work with them as they are. As a volunteer, I was taught that. A CS rep that’s getting paid to do a job should also know that. I’m not here to get an attitude when it comes to the medical hardware that literally keeps me alive.

I don’t begrudge anyone’s positive experience, but I’ve got every right and, I think, a duty to share with the community.

4 Likes

Hey Lexy,

Wondering if you can help me. I’m new on the 670G and on Auto Mode in the last 24 hours. I’ll corrective bolus to get myself in range, dip down to close to 100, and then an hour later be back up around 175. It seems like the Auto Mode target isn’t upping my basal to keep me near the target - or maybe it’s stopping my basal when it gets down to 100 and I react by jumping back up?

I’ve fingerstick checked and the sensor matches my meter. Does Auto Mode just take time to figure me out or is something off?

Thanks!

The pump is learning you. Auto mode takes time. Ride it out and it will get better. That was my experience.

Good luck!

Welcome to TuD. I find it unusual to read comments from a T1D and an endocrinologist. You straddle two demographics sometimes at odds regarding appropriate treatment.

Have you ever thought about using one of the do it yourself open source automatic pancreas systems? I use Loop and I find it like stepping five years into the D-tech future. Loop and OpenAPS seem to be in continuous iteration mode. The improvements are amazing.

Based on their data analysis they are able to make recommendations about tweaks to insulin sensitivity factors and other insulin parameters. These parameters are not static. They vary – this dynamic nature makes a difference to us. Your diabetes may vary from mine but my diabetes varies within me!

Hi!
I have to say I 100% agree with Regina! I was quick to switch to Auto mode and should have waited at least 4-6 days for the pump to “learn” about my diabetes before switching over but I was in a rush because I was really excited to try it. This resulted in a lot of blood sugar checks and overnight alarms. Now that I’ve given the 670 G some time to get to learn my blood sugar patterns it is doing a better job without as much interrupted sleep. I think we just have to give it time but keep in mind that ultimately it is trying to prevent hypoglycemia probably more so than hyperglycemia just based on what the target blood sugars are programmed in the pump. This is probably part of the reason why they got FDA clearance so quickly. My target has been 100 and sometimes lower for years as an adult but here on the pump it’s 120 which is kind of high. Overall there has been much less lability in my levels especially overnight but I should have given it more time in the beginning and now I’m catching up.
Hang in there and best of luck!

Hi Terry-
Thanks for the welcome! I guess I picked endocrine because I’m a glutton for punishment and just couldn’t get enough diabetes in my life! And yes, I totally agree that as a T1D I used to get extremely frustrated with my old Endo for not always understanding MY diabetes especially that my diabetes is as unique as I am and that I can have minute to minute variability that is a part of normal life. I was tired of rigid and depersonalized treatment regimens- I did that 25 years ago with Regular and NPH because I had to- not a good way to live! So I divorced him as my doctor and found a great new Endo who is incredibly realistic and open-minded and let’s me do what I think is right. I try to take the same approach with my patients. Because some of them are very young (babies and toddlers) we are constantly toeing the line between improved glucose control and risk of significant hypoglycemia so we have to be really cautious with those kids but otherwise I think, or at least I hope, that I am very open minded and do support families and patients trying all available technology. I have been taught a lot by my tech savvy families- it’s really a nice partnership.
I have admittedly never tried OpenAPS or Loop but I did do a bit of reading about OpenAPS a while back and think it sounds amazing. I was reluctant to do this in the past because I lived by myself and was worried about something going wrong overnight while I was sleeping. I was also still in training and doing a lot of alternating day and night shifts so I didn’t think it was the best timing. I like this 670G but I can’t express how much I miss my Omnipod and I’m a big Dexcom fan so now may be a good time to rethink making my own closed loop in the near future. I may hit you up for advice- I hope that’s okay!

1 Like

I think most PWDs expose themselves to more overnight risk with standard therapy than with an APS. These socially-brewed open source systems are designed to fail to the background pump programming. I live alone, too. I think my overall risk has gone down since I started with the Loop.

As far as getting help with APS, there are some vibrant online communities eager to help.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience! I’m sorry to hear it has been frustrating. It has to be hard to transition from one type of sensor that works mostly fine, to something that seems somewhat finicky.

Having had the 630g for some time I have learned how to work with the sensor. It takes some learning but eventually you kind of get a knack for it.

Either way, despite your review I am excited to see how the 670g works when I get it started!

I am actually going to be sharing my experience on youtube under CyberneticSamantha if you want to see how I work out the kinks of the sensor! Here is the link to my first video; - YouTube

1 Like

Medtronic has a system for your iPhone/iWatch. You need to wear a transmitter for that somewhere on your person, or within 3 feet, it’s got a keychain clip so you can just put it on your keys or in a pocket. I’m not sure if the 670G has that integrated into the system or not, if not that’s stinky. But you can get #s on your phone.

They don’t for the 670g.

I asked a few people including my Medtronic nurse, my doctor, and someone online in a 670g-focused FB group (she works for Medtronic.)

You are correct it states that in their question and answer area on their website. The 630 and 670 do not connect so you can see data on your IPhone at this time. Medtronic will be working on that correction but these systems do not use the same platform as the 530.

1 Like