Back to shots? :/ Tired of it

I’m thinking about going back on shots for awhile… :\

When i went to camp, i took a break from my pump. While both options have their pro’s and con’s i dont know if i should take a break, but not for too long.

My mom thinks that i wont keep my log book and that i’ll forget to take my shots, and my control will get even worse. Which bugs me, because she acts like i didnt do it before for about 8 months.

She thinks that just because my sugars have been worse for the past almost year, which is because i came out of the honeymoon phase and it became alot more difficult, that i’ll not be able to take care of myself on shots and form complications.

Just because i forget to bolus sometimes doesnt mean i’m going to do the same thing with shots. I mean, Maybe, because everyone does.
I know she trys to understand what its like as best as she can, and i hate saying it, but she really doesnt understand. Obviously.

The reason i want off my pump for awhile, is so that i dont have to worry about sleeping with it, where to put it when i get dressed, to avoid site changes and sites being ripped out, and just the awkward stares of people. I’m afraid to go on shots though because even though i’ll get the ability to be more secretive, i have to prove to my mom that i can go back on them. And i know i’ll mess up, or forget, but i dont know. I absolutley hate log books, and carrying around so much stuff for the pens and stuff. But i’m so fed up with the tubing and having it be so obvious to people.

When i was first diagnosed, i didnt care if people wondered about the pump, or if they knew i had diabetes. I was so excited to get a pump. And it was okay in middle school, because everyone in my class knew. But going into highschool, i have three whole grades ahead of me that stare and whisper about my pump, or when i have to test my sugar. Telling people makes me feel like that when they know, they are just going to feel sorry for me. I just honestly want to be normal, and fit in. I go to my endo on the 28th and i’m telling him that i’m getting the OmniPod.

I was at the zoo the other day, with my boyfriend (who is also diabetic :D) and his family, and one of the new girls who i volunteer there with, says “Why is Carly walking around with that boy?” “Which Carly?” “The diabetic one.”

That realllyyyy ticked me off. My friend who i volunteer with is also diabetic, and i guess these girls were talking about how we were diabetic. And referred to us as the “diabetic ones”

I’m just really starting to feel the reality of this never going away. I’m starting to get nervous about getting a job and having to deal with this, dating and having to deal with it, and college especially. Idk, I just really want the OmniPod. Maybe a sensor, but i’m just dead set on the pod. So any advice? Lol.

Hey Carly. I can understand your cons about the pump, it isnt fun having people stare at you and wonder about your diabetes. Thats why i try to be confident and educate others about it, if people ask what my pump is I say its my robotic pancreas, they usually get a kick out of it :slight_smile: but you know sometimes you have to take it lightly around other people, educate them and let them know that you are diabetic, and you are confident. I usually stick my pump in my bra when i dont want it to interfere with clothing etc. But im not afraid to show people my pump or sites with a smile and throw in a bit of humor.
Injections are a pain they really are when you’re striving for freedom and tight control. On the pump I have never had a problem showing it first thing to guys i met - they usually will be more interested in You not your diabetes :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve went out to clubs, had great nights with my friends. I’ve traveled to Norway, Sweden, England with a pump.
I’ve hiked up the highest mountains and swam lakes with my pump.
I also do local modeling and photoshoots, get this, i did a bikini shoot with a pump on just stuck the site on my lower back.
I’ve went away for university with a pump, all you have to worry about is obtaining your supplies and keeping food in your bag when you’re trotting back and fourth campus.
But I know most of these things would not be as easy with injections. Do not limit yourself because you have diabetes, you can do anything anyone else can do you just have to be aware and be more prepared. But it will come easy and it will become a natural part of life.

Stay with the pump, its a big and a drag having to tote everything about when you need to take an injection and taking a shot in public can be most off putting, not to mention getting people pointing and other stuff that can and does happen (enough so that I am always forgetting to take my shots when I should when out).

You are young, don’t sweat things so much, as Jill said people will stare and make comments, educate them as best you can and shrug it off, be a teen live and enjoy the freedom that the pump does give you to do so instead of having to make sure you have enough of your supplies with you. Which can be a pain, I’ve traveled to the US for 6 months and had to make sure I brought enough of my supplies for my pens and testing and everything because I have no way of getting them down here nor the funds to get them down here. One of my carry on was nothing but diabetic supplies (needles, insulin, test strips, and what not - major annoying going through customs with it and the angry faces from ppl behind me when the guard started going though my bag and lecturing me on having over 3oz of liquid [never mind the guidelines state that as a diabetic my shots do not come under that restrictions] … but I digress.

I’d stick it out and stay with the pump, tight control and being able to live without forgetting is very important for a long fruitful life. That and some blokes actually get off on a diabetic chick.

Manuel has gone out of the pump for only a few days, just to have a small break from it and keep himself used to do shoots as well. After 3 to 4 days he misses his pump so much that he is happy to go back to it.

I know it gets old. especially your mom nagging you, but trust me she only does it cuz she’s concerned. I was diagnosed at age 3, am now 36 with many complications. I now have heart disease (already had triple bypass in 2005), frozen shoulder, with my hips following. So, my point is try to control it the best you can, and who cares what people think. I sometimes think that if I would have listened to my mom and tried better control, then I wouldn’t have all the complications. By the way, I just started omnipod in January and I love it, but I’m a first time pumper and can’t compare. Good luck to you, and God bless!

I’m right where you are about pumping. For some of us, privacy and discretion are important and pumping makes that hard. (I’m also looking at Omnipod for the future.) Depending on how easy it is to find a discreet place to inject, I suppose whipping out your pump to bolus is better. I’m constantly looking for private space to inject. You are sure right about there being pros and cons either way. Your issues will probably improve regardless of what you do. High school is its own little universe and I think you’ll be less concerned as an upperclassman. Use a countdown timer or alarm clock on your cell phone so you don’t forget to bolus. Unless your basal requirement really varies, like with dawn phenomenon, I don’t see why your bg control has to be worse on shots. Shots will give a break and you’ll appreciate your pump when you go back to it! Good luck.

I had the omnipod and being 21, newly diagnosed with diabetes ( where i have poeple constantly asking me ?;s about it , telling me what im eating or drinking is not good for me, and so on)… I found that the when i used the Omnipod i had more poeple asking me what is that, or starting at me because it was so large and who walks around with a big egg shaped device sticking to them. I wore it on my stomache and dindt have poeple noticing it, but yet it left bruises that ive had for about 4 months now that haven’t seem to go away. I am currently back on doing shots and i hate it. It always seems my pens go bad, than i dont ahve anything with me, because all the other pens in my bag aren’t working. And than when im using syrenges and what not, i never have enough with me. Im a full time student and college and a full time hairstylist. Im in the process of trying to get a new pump and with not having my omnipod for a year yet, its been a struggle and very stressful. My blood sugar though is def. harder to control with shots, just because im not getting that little extra that you need. This is just from my expirence but i have only been diabetic for a little over year. But dont be ashamed of poeple looking at you and staring at you, what i always tell myself is yes i have this for the rest of my life but it doesnt have me… i am normal still, its just something special about me, its something that not many poeple know about so if they have ?'s im pleased to answer any of them!.. I have a best friend that everytime im around she teases me about joining this community and i always snap back at her. I dont think she realizes how extreme the disease is and how awesome it is to have poeple here for support that understands. It’s been a hard journey for me… but i still keep my head up… theres nothing to be ashamed of! Good luck though!! :slight_smile:

after reading like the first 3 paragraphs of this, i have stuff to say :stuck_out_tongue:

i went off my pump in order to get in better control about a year ago… and im still on shots and i like it!
i mean, some days i miss my pump, [how easy it was] but other days im glad i dont have to worry about tubing and sleeping with a bulk at ur side. as far as logging goes, ive just recently got the hang of being consistent about my logging, since my a1c has gone down, but not quite there yet:))–im wroking on it. logging just takes persistance, and its really annoying sometimes, but if you keep it going, eventually you realize you NEED to just do it, and you start doing it unconsciously. im JUST starting to do that, and its great {: