Basal Quandry

I take 8.425u of basal per day.
I have been changing overnight rates during the 2am to 7am time span to wake up at a good, healthy number like 130. At .275 I wake up very low…30-40. At .250 I wake up at 180-200. That’s a difference of only .125 u total difference over those five hours. A 190 fasting requires a .9u correction to bring it to 130. The basal change is the smallest I can make.

Those overnight basal rate have worked great until the last week.

It’s a tough spot. Thoughts?

@Sue27 - Which pump do you have and do you use a CGM?

Overnights can be weird and everyone’s physiology changes over time… but that’s a big variation from such a small change. Assuming there’s no other factor involved (a big “if”), the one other parameter you do have to experiment with is the time frame of that basal–e.g., delaying the start of the higher rate, or breaking the 2-7am span into smaller increments, that kind of thing. It would be helpful to have a CGM track to get a more fine-grained sense of what’s going on in that period.

1 Like

Medtronic. No CGM.

That’s kind of what I was thinking.

I gave up on th Enlite sensor. I’d had sensors for years but Enlite never worked. I’m looking into a Dexcom. Their rep told me they were approved for Android use, but some other approvals by states are still needed, so I’m waiting.

I agree with @DrBB.
Only thing I would add is I would rather wake up at 180 as opposed to 30 if those are (currently) the two choices.

Do you know exactly what was meant by this? It sounds confusing…

And as FYI - we use the Dexcom G5 and are VERY HAPPY with the data provided. Good Luck with obtaining one for yourself. Hopefully it gets worked out soon so you have access to the data also.

I’ve always had Medtronic since switching to pump therapy (only 4 yrs ago) but went with Dexcom CGM for that reason. I just started on a 670G this week, which requires the new Guardian 3 CGM, and since I already had a Dexcom session going I’ve been running them in parallel just to see. Gonna post a separate thread on this, but bottom line is that so far the difference has been negligible, if anything slightly favoring the Guardian3, though the Dex sensor’s in its 3rd week so a bit unfair.

The rep told me that state approvals for the interaction between the sensor and an Android are required. I’m in Virginia and whatever is required is not yet done. He said some states were good to go, but not VA.

That is very odd. Not saying it is not true but if it was me, I would speak with a different rep to at least confirm that information.

Been considering making that call.

Made the call. See new post: Does Medicare think we are senile

Ah - yes. I did not realize this was a Dexcom / Medicare question. That certainly throws an entirely different wrinkle into it.

I agree with DrBB. Speaking as a fellow pumper, I’d first try the higher basal from 2-3am and the lower basal from 3-7am. If you continue waking up above your target, expand the higher basal to cover an extra hour… keep following that strategy until your morning readings are regularly in a comfortable range.