Beating the Crap out of Diabetes

So I finally got the call from Kaiser Permanente. Earlier this month, those savages had denied me for an individual insurance plan because of my preexisting condition. I guess I was naive to think that I could just jot my Type 1 on the application and think they wouldn’t notice.

Well…they are now going to “allow” me to pay for continuing coverage temporarily through a very Cobra-like program. Just $350 a month. Wow. I work as a contractor right now and one of the caveats is, of course, little to no benefits. I owe over $1000 for the last two months plus this month. Ouch.

I better milk this insurance plan for everything it’s worth :slight_smile:

Paying for medical got me thinking…I’ve spent the majority of my 17 year diabetic life way way out of control. Bad A1C after bad A1C. Little to no exercise. Consuming everything and partying like its 1999. I think my last A1C in October was like 9.2. Pathetic.

I’m getting older now. Thinking about my vulnerability. I am really starting to “feel” diabetes, if you know what I mean. Blood sugar is very sensitive now. Honeymoon is long gone. Cholesterol is creeping up. I don’t want to think about my future condition if I keep going on like this.

I think I’ve let things slide for too long already. I think I’m ready to deal. I think…I’m ready to beat the crap out of diabetes.

My primary objective is to lower my A1C to the low 7’s for the first time since the 1990’s. If I can do that, then everything will begin to fall into place and I will be on my way to owning diabetes once again.

Think I can do it?

Dino

I think you can get it there but it’ll take a lot of work. I’ll bet by watching what you eat, injecting carefully and getting some exercise in you’ll get to low 8’s really quickly. Lower than that (for me) is a lot harder. The exercise might be even a brisk 20-minute walk, or some pickup basketball, 3-4 times a week.

Are you employed through a contract agency or are you an independent contractor? Because you may be able to get lower cost insurance through a local chamber of commerce or business association. I did this many years ago when I was a self-employed contractor/consultant. Alternately some organizations, like IEEE, provide a health insurance deal for their members.

I hope you can figure something out. Best of luck.

Simply put: YES!! You can :slight_smile:
Deciding to do it half the battle. Well done :slight_smile:

Dino,

You can do it, you just have to keep paying attention. Every morning when I get up I sit on the edge of the bed and say to myself “Even if it hurts, you’re going to have control.” (Yeah, it’s from ‘Creep’.)

It’s not a magic incantation, because I’m not always in control, but I’m always trying.

Use the hell out of your insurance and look for other options, like Bernard suggests. Ease into exercise, but do something every day. Walking counts.

Good luck,

Terry