Best Diabetes Mobile Apps: what's your take?

Hi jennifer -

I may take a look at the demo - can you import pump/meter data as a.csv file and the sync that data to the iPod/I’d, etc? THAT would be useful…

I found that it takes a couple of days to get the hang of ontrack, but once you get going, it will be like using your log book.

I have a PALM phone and I recently found one that will allow me to log, download to PC and print out a great logbook (with any notes on food or other) as well as a physician summary. www.glucoseone.com.

This app also keeps track of the INSULIN ON BOARD for me. I am able to set multiple time periods for target blood glucose, multiple time periods for different I:C ratios, and multiple time periods for different sensitivity for correction doses. You set up what types of insulin you are one. Also has a butten you can push to see what the current IOB is at (my pump does not even do that readily).

This is a free app also. A lot of other apps said they would compute the amount of insulin you need to take, but they only had the ability to put in one I:C ratio, one sensitiity, etc.-and did not track IOB, or did not have the correction dose and the food dose in the same computation.

I was really worried about going off my pump due to insurance reasons and having to figure everything out all the time. This is quick and easy. I am HAPPY!

Hi Dan,

Diabetes Pilot for Windows (desktop) does support importing CVS files - see http://www.diabetespilot.com/desktop/docs/import

I never thought of the possibility of exporting my pump/meter data as a CVS file and importing it into Diabetes Pilot. This would solve my one dislike of having to enter all data manually, and all I’d need to enter would be notes and non-pump related events.

I’m a Droid Incredible user and have been pretty pleased with the “OnTrack” application. It’s free, pretty easy to customize and the reports are easliy converted so they can be emailed. BG, Carbs, Medications, Exercise/Acticvities, A1C can all be tracked.

I don’t use a log book ever. Maybe I’ll give it another try, perhaps this weekend when I have time to remember to forget? I like the idea of having the data but get pretty wrapped up in my job @ work and just eat and test on the fly all the time.

I’m using a HTC Droid Incredible, and use two apps. Both are free.

I love using OnTrack for logging glucose, carbs, insulin doses, exercise, A1c, etc. The graphs and charts are nice, but I’ve got another program on my Mac that I prefer for preparing reports, so I email myself the data every so often so I can incorporate the new data.

I also use Insulin Calc to calculate insulin doses (obviously). I do wish it let me save the settings, as my I:C ratio changes during the day, and it’d be nice not to have to reenter the ratio every meal.

For the iPhone: http://bantapp.com/.

Pros: Free, customizable classifications for BGs, easy output to Excel.

Cons: Data entry may require too much finger dexterity for some, some may find the graphical representations excessive.

I used this before starting on the OmniPod, which is tracking my BGs and insulin delivery now.

Kenx, great…now that I just bought a new laptop I will have to keep my old one up and running just to download my One Touch Ultra and One Touch Ultra Smart meters…pain in the buttocks!

I use calorie king on my palm. Super Helpful for figuring out carbs when out to eat!

I have been using the app. OnTrack for the last 9 months and like the app very much. Only dislike is getting the info from phone to Pc. Perhaps I may need to redo the info with more customizing. Use the app. on the Blaze. an Android Phone through Google I believe. I am happy with this app. so far.

The Accucheck glucometers from Roche uses IR beam to transfer data to a palm handheld and a Desktop Application.

My doctors were like very impressed when I pulled out log , data charts from different time of day, monthly averages etc.

At the end instead of printed material you could show all the usefull data from the Palm Handheld, which you can also update “on the go”

Im into medical tech myself and there are active discussions on LinkedIn about moving up the technology to wireless apps using bluetooth etc. There need to me more Academic - Healthcare - Private Company interactions

Hey gentgeen,

Question . . . will OnTrack allow you to search for foods on a data base to get carb info? I’ve been using the livestrong app but I might get an android phone tomorrow. So just wondering if you type in a food item . . . will it work the magic.

Thanks

Hey Jason,

Unfortunately not, as far as I know. But I have a Droid and what I did was download Restaurant Nutrition app, and the Calorie Counter app. They are both free and those are the ones that I use to look up the nutrition guide for food. Hope this helps.

Alex

I have been using OnTrack for the Android OS and really like it. I can track exercise, weight, bp, glucose, meds, etc. And it’s free!

Alex . . . thanks for the info. It looks like the blackberry over the droid for now. I’ll use the livestrong app and see what happens and possibly find another free app to help me with records. Chao!

No problem, whatever works best, just as long as it works. :slight_smile:

I use OnTrack for Android. It does what I care the most, helping me keep a log of insulin intake, glucose reading as well as keeping track of all the meds I take. To me, it is awesome because it also makes a graph of my glucose readings which is what my doc cares the most.