Best Low Treatment Carbs to Pack for Travel

Wow!

Would it help to put the teeniest of slits on an edge to facilitate easier opening?

is that the stuff @cynthia_rogers used to give away as prizes on #TuDiabetesTalks?

For powdered dextrose in easy to open packages, you could also try pixy sticks. Might not be as durable though, and wouldnā€™t work as well in a pocket (but could be good in a ziplock in a bag and for overnight). Each one has 15g carbs, and you can buy them in bulk for about 5 cents each, so hard to beat the cost.

Edited: Was wrong, 7 of them have 15g carbs

One pixie stix is 15 carbs? That packs a punch!!!

Thatā€™s what the internet tells me! Iā€™m considering getting some for my occasional bad lows when I want something super fast and need more of a boost. Usually I prefer sweetarts (solid pixy sticks)/smarties, because they have smaller doses.

1 Like

It actually does have two small starter taers on each side. My issue with it is more arthritis and hand strength. Occasionally Sheryl has to open one for me if my hands are swollen or my grip is not working. But overall I open at least 98% of them even with hurting hands.

According to MyFitnessPal it takes 7 pixie stick straws to get to 15 g of card.

1 Like

Oh I must have missed the serving size :frowning: thanks for catching that. Too bad, and much less useful then, just because thatā€™s a lot of pixy stix!

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry. :frowning:

I like to use jelly beans or glucose tabs. I fill small RX containers to carry with me, and can easily refill them. I label it as For medical use to raise blood sugar.

Using the rx container makes easy access without extra wrappers that packaged candy has, and I can easily use just the amount I need.

Jelly beans are nice to have a few to counter a slow down trend, or with light activity to prevent a down trend.

1 Like

I like this idea. Iā€™ve got oodles laying around. Thanks!

I love that powder idea but the tightwad in me has trouble with $9 for 6 doses, especially when Iā€™ve been known to need more than one at a time.

Maybe I just want too muchā€¦cheap, light weight, powerful but not icky sweet AND yummy. Iā€™m just high maintenance LOL

2 Likes

well my second favorite is CVS Chocolate marshmallow. About $7.00 for 12 doses, but these are balky tabs. They do taste pretty good. They definitely will not survive a wash-machine.

2 Likes

Haha!

Goes with the RA territory Lorraine. It beats the alternative.

1 Like

I donā€™t know all that RA involves, but I have Sjogrenā€™s and Overlap Syndrome. Itā€™s a bummer, but I can appreciate the ā€œcomes with the territoryā€ sentiment. We just carry onā€¦

In reality I am fortunate to have RA. I never expected to live long enough to have something like RA, so every day is an unexpected victory

3 Likes

What an inspiring attitude. :slight_smile:

Maybe Iā€™m being cheap, but Iā€™ve never understood the need for glucose products marketed towards diabetics. I usually use juice boxes for lows but when travelling or needing to pack light I just take candy that is high in sugar. I avoid hard candies that I would need to suck for a few minutes since time is of the essence when low.
My go-to is a gelatin-type candy like THIS that has 7g of sugar in a single piece. I can wolf down the required sugar in no time. Thereā€™s also the benefit of it being very inexpensive at the bulk food store.

1 Like

All great points - thanks!