BG at start of exercise

I completely understand your sensitivity, Rachel! I am still fairly new to a pump, and find it much easier to just eat a snack before exercise. I can’t seem to get the right timing and amount on the basal adjustment to not go low during and high afterward. Bummer, because my biggest excitement about switching to a pump was not having to eat just to exercise!

I workout regularly 3-5 times per week and drop nearly every time. At normal range, I eat a granola bar or peanutbutter cracker pack 30 minutes before, and still have to eat something when I’m finished 1-1.5 hours later. The only advice from my endo to emiminate the lows is to decrease my basil rate. After getting lows still, I now suspend my pump completely. I have gotten into the routine of feeling safe to start at workout with a BG of 150-200. I’m seeing a trend from your comments that this is NOT the way to go. I would love to avoid eating before/during/after a workout completely! (My workout time is inbetween meals.)

For now, I will try the raisin suggestion. I would love to hear other advice as well!

In the past I have said I prefer starting exercise with a slighlty elevated BG, but I never recommended going there on purpose. (Yup. It’s all about me.) :slight_smile:

The reason I prefer it is so I don’t have to eat before I start a run. It can give me a stomach cramp. But if I’m in a good range - 80 to 100 - I definitely will eat something. An apple. A single bag serving of pretzels. A Gu (yuck). I’ll keep noshing every thirty minutes or so. If I’m under 80 I don’t start a run because I drop too fast. If I’m over 200 I wait until it comes down to avoid a rebound affect.

I’ll also take along a 50-50 mix of water and gatorade rather than just water for hydration.

I also find that the CGM can’t keep up with my BG’s but is good for trending information. That’s why I test every 30 minutes and carry plenty of glucotabs.

For runs over 30 minutes, I reduce my basal to 50% starting 1.5 to 2 hours ahead.

Never had a problem with leg or abdomen cramping while running. I wonder if this is an issue with elecrolytes rather than a blood sugar issue?

Terry

Try mixing a sports drink with some water and sip it regularly to get a steady dose of carbs. You might also look into John Walsh’s book “Pumping Insulin” (even though you’re not using insulin) to read what he has to say about “ExCarbs” - carbs taken to offset the glucose used during exercise. Click here to read one of his on-line article on the subject.

Good luck,

Terry

my body is weird apparently…

If I start my workout (Usually speed training, because I run sprints <800m) at 70, my BG will be around 150 when I’m done. If I start at 100, I’ll drop to somewhere between 60-75. If I start at 150, I’ll go down to about 110-120. If I start at 200+, then I’ll be under 50 within about 20 minutes.

I usually try to start my work out at 130-160.

As far as cramping goes, I get them if I do a really hard sprint without stretching properly. Try stretching the muscles you will be using the most for at least 15 minutes before you start.

Peaklesss is a bit of a marketing tool - it is peakless as COMPARED to NPH so yes still has little peaks. You will find if you move the time you give your lantus the peak usually moves with you so move to a time where peak is valuable for a free snack so to speak or less insulin required like so it occurs at lunch or afternoon tea. - Just an idea - it worked for me when I was on lantus

I have writtern this comment soemwhere else - but thanks to these discussion I undertook exercise without a massive snack for the first time and it was great - just needed a couple of top up jellybeans and elevation afterwards was also minimal - So much happier!

Hi Devon and Rachel and all the others that start exercise on the high side. Me too. I also drop BG so fast no matter how hard or how gentle I am working out. It’s crazy. So I always start in the 200’s, half hour later I’m in the 70’s - 80’s - - this is, of course, depending on the weather, stress levels, time of day, amount of insuling floating around, carb intake earlier, sheeesh, it’s just soooo complicated. I have, however, managed to run a full marathon, 5 halves, and a 100 mile Tour de Cure bike ride, with perfect numbers throughout, but I started out at like180ish for all of those, and still need to ingest carbs (gatorade, jelly belly’s, gu packs) throughout the events. I was joking that the best glucose conrol I ever have is only when I’m doing a ridiculous endurance event. haha, it’s true!

I just switched from Lantus to Levemir for various reasons. First thing I noticed after the switch is that my CGM seems to report a rock-solid BS level throughout the night. Lantus used to have me waking up with the cold sweats in the 40-50 range around 3AM. At least for me, Levemir seems to pick a number and keep me within a few points of there all night long.

FWIW, I split my basal injections into two a day, at 8AM and 8PM.