Bionic pancreas

The thought that in 3 years I won’t have to think about what I eat, my boluses, my basal, my backup supplies , etc is just so exciting. I wonder two things. 1- Thia does appear a reality in 3 years… Right? 2- Will my friend who is not on the pump/glucose meter be able to transition to this device or should I truly convince her now? Thank you … :- Here is the news I am reading. ) http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25732-bionic-pancreas-frees-people-from-shackles-of-diabetes.html#.U5_9ANoayK0

How is this different than pump and CGM combined?

Ed Damiano who has been leading the development group for this project since the beginning has done for the most part with 1 thing in mind. His 15 year old son has T1 and will be going to college in a few years. Throughout the project they have managed to meet or exceed every time line. I am quite sure they will have this device ready on time for Ed's son and hopefully for some of the rest of us. Transitioning smoothly to a device with 2 or 3 inserts attached to your body 24/7 is a huge leap from MDI. I know for 38 years I resisted getting any D devices and in the last year and a half have gotten both a Dexcom CGM and insulin pump. Becoming a cyborg overnight at least for me would not have been possible and might have been dangerous if I hadn't done a lot of research beforehand. If your friend is managing well on MDI there is no rush to get geared up for the BP. You can just give him/her the information.

As a Type 1 for the past 40+ years I've heard this same promise more than once. So, I'm not holding my breath just yet. And, once a device like this does become reality convincing someone to switch will probably be easy, if finances will allow. I wouldn't expect such a device to be cheap to purchase or own, with or without insurance.

In reading the article it seems this device also administers glucagon, which normal pumps do not. This allows the device to control low BG much better too.

I agree with Scott, it will be the expense allot of users will look at. Hopefully it will be doable.

It is a wonderful thing. I am fearful though that insurance companies will deem it as an experimental treatment for the foreseeable future. They are slow to adapt things even though we need them and they would improve our life. It usually comes down to $$$ as to when we can benefit.

I am thrilled and essentially can't stop tearing up over this news with such a magnitude for health and life for my son, Jake. There's a lot of good happening and a whole lot of positive anticipation in so many varied directions. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/06/16/320309856/father-devises-a-bionic-pancreas-to-help-son-with-diabetes
Thank God

TuDiabetes did a Live Interview with this team, where they answered many questions about this:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/video/tudiabetes-live-interview-with-the-creators-of-the-bionic

Anytime I have a bad diabetes day, I just keep telling myself "Just wait until 2018!" (I'm adding 1 extra year for FDA bureaucracy ;-)

I found the interview really intersting … Thank you @bort269. I am very excited but a little disappointed in how big the devices look that we will have to carry around. Makes sense, but I hadn’t thought about it. I am sure they will get smaller over time just like every other device did.

In my opinion, the weakest link is the CGM. While most of the time the accuracy is pretty good, there are situations where the accuracy is way off (half to 2x the value from a blood glucose meter). Not sure what your experience but I centainly wouldn't want it driving the output from my pump. I'm more excited by advances being made with stem cells. I've had this disease for 38 years and I'm ready for a cure.

That is a really good point about my CGM not always being accurate. It does appear that the Faustmann Labs research is positive and they are going into Phase Two of clinical trials. A cure would be so much better! I am 55, have had diabetes over 40 years and at this point am hoping for my 60th birthday I can get the best present of all!

We're in pretty much the same place Gail. I have had D for 39 years. I do not want to be a "Joslin medalist" for continuously using insulin for 50 years. I would much rather be cured. But I am not going to put any time constraints on it because when I was dxed my parents were told a cure was 5 years away. Science moves inexorably slowly and the FDA moves even slower. So instead I try to stay as healthy and active as I can now and not let D be a big part of my life.

Hey look guys when the insulin inhaler hits the street and with a good CGM, which I already have, I will be in diabetic heaven. Have a great sugar day.