Blood sugar a little high in the morning

Hi…my husband is the patient. He was officially diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago (it seems that his prior GP neglected to tell him a couple of years ago that he had it). With diet (which is tough because he has lost weight and he doesn’t need to) and metformin he has been able to bring his A1C levels down, but I am questioning his early morning blood sugar levels which are usually 150 or above. I know that’s not worrisome per se, but I don’t understand why they aren’t lower? His doctor has him taking two pills at night to address this, and it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

With losing weight that he doesn’t need to and his fasting blood sugar in the 150s, it makes me wonder if your husband might really be a type 1 diabetic. Please forgive me if this has already been sorted out, but many people are mistakenly diagnosed as T2D simply based on age. While T1D has in the past been called “juvenile diabetes,” it can be diagnosed at any age. I was diagnosed at the age of 30.

Has your husband been tested for blood antibodies that could indicate a T1D diagnosis? There’s also a blood test called C-peptide that gives solid evidence of the quantity of native insulin being produced. Newly diagnosed T2Ds usually have a much higher C-peptide level than people with T1D. These would be good questions to ask his doctor if they have not already been discussed.

By the way, welcome to TuD!

Welcome, how old is your husband? If his BS are still off you can loose weight . I lost 20 pounds ,eventually gained it back over the years. So you may need some tweaking in your/his plan. Have you seen a dietitian? Have a meal plan? Does he eat a small snack at night? He could have dawn phenomenon effect.
The dawn phenomenon, also called the dawn effect, is the term used to describe an abnormal early-morning increase in blood sugar (glucose)** — usually between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. — in people with diabetes. Sometimes having a small snack in the evening helps. Try testing at 2 am to see what his numbers are to start. And welcome. Nancy50